• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How Should I Be Credited

Hey team.

I applied for an 'assistant editor' job and got it. However, I've realised the job isn't really what an assistant editor does. They already have a cut film, but due to various circumstances (producers/director want to keep cutting it and the original editor is unavailable, or perhaps they don't want that editor anymore - I'm unsure) it seems I am taking over the edit. I am meeting with the director today.

I'm not hugely fussed about how I'm credited, but is there a more appropriate term for the work I am doing? Or does it not really matter too much in the scheme of things? It's just in terms of building my body of work, I'd like people looking at it to actually know what work I've done.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for totally not answering your question. But if you don't mind, I'd just like to share my philosophy on these matters. Unless it's a major production that will receive theatrical distribution, does it really matter?

For me, these types of gigs are much more about building a relationship that will hopefully benefit you in bigger ways in the future. On one occasion (non-paid gig) I took the title of DP, even though I was really a co-director, and I'm fine with that. And then on another gig (paid), I simply told them to credit me with whatever the heck they thought appropriate.

Just my two cents. Either way, I hope it all works out for you. :D

Yeah fair call. I doubt it'll get major distribution. It's part of an anthology feature (which makes distribution fairly impossible). It'll likely be picked up by the New Zealand International Film Festival (which is exciting, as it'd be the largest audience to have seen my work), but it's hard to know where else it'll go - I'd be very surprised if it got any real distribution though so you're probably right in that it doesn't matter.

"edited by" is your credit.

Assuming the fact that they went through all the trouble of hiring someone else means they need a fair amount of work done on this thing -- more than say the previous guy forgot to add a fade to black at the end -- then your credit is "edited by". You better believe your predecessor will be saying that on his resume, regardless of the circumstances surrounding his departure.

Multiple editors on a single movie is not uncommon, regardless of whether you are playing side-kick or clean up crew.

Back