how much is the scarlet going to cost?

you would think they would make the scarlet coust just a little bit more than the 5d to blow it out of the market. Then again that oakley guy probably want's to keep his camera as a status symbol so it will probably be a few grand more. what do you guys think? i was under the impression that it would be a pro-sumer camera but knowing red it will probably be 5 grand for the brains and 10 grand for all the accessories that are needed to make it more than a paperweight.

They have to decide to go ahead with releasing it first. Jannard is still claiming 2010 for both cameras, but BIG (read REALLY REALLY BIG) issues with the Epic have delayed that.

Honestly, many folks don't see Scarlet ever becoming a reality. I see their point.

the fixed lens scarlet is supposed to come out late this year according to Jannard. but take that with a pinch of salt.

and the price hasnt been established yet but most estimate it around 4-5k.

the other scarlets like the interchangeable and the s35 etc will cost more

Forget the Scarlett...let's talk about the Epic. That's the camera to own. :)

5K at 100fps! I just peed myself.

screen-shot-2009-10-31-at-54511-pm.png

OK...it's 28K...but that is totally worth the 'epic' list of attributes below.

* New MYSTERIUM-X 5K sensor
* 5K (2:1) at 1-100fps
* 4K (2:1) at 1-125fps
* Quad HD at 1-120fps
* 3K (2:1) at 1-160fps
* 2K (2:1) at 1-250fps
* 1080P (scaled from full frame) at 1-60fps
* Increased Dynamic Range, reduced noise
* Time Lapse, Frame Ramping
* REDCODE 250
* ISO 200-8000
* New FLUT Color Science
* Completely Modular System, each Module individually upgradeable
* Independent Stills and Motion Modes (both record full resolution REDCODE RAW)
* Touchscreen LCD control option
* Interchangeable Lens mounts including focus and iris control of electronic RED, Canon and Nikon lenses (along with Zoom data)
* LDS and /i Data enabled PL Mount
* Multiple Recording Media Options (Compact Flash, 1.8″ SSD, RED Drives, RED RAM)

i cant find that news on reduser or scarlet user. all i see is talk abt a 1000 price increase in the scarlet.
:huh:

That's essentally what the article says - Scarlet is going to be $1,000 more and they are going to stop marketing it as "prosumer." I probably shouldn't have quoted the article's headline, as it sounds like the demise of Scarlet. I'll edit my first post. From the article:

Originally Posted by Jim Jannard
We recently came to the conclusion that, indeed, we cater to the professional market. That's it. A pro camera company. We want to build the best tools possible for those that want to "man up". There are plenty of companies dedicated to selling prosumer (short for "almost right") cameras. We aren't going to be one of them.

Last edited:
5k honestly isn't much different than for 4k. or 3k for that matter. i remember in like the summer of 08 or 09 they were advertising its release by the end of that year. they will just keep pushing it back until the product is perfect (i read a quote by the oakley guy saying that, i think on the RED forums)

anyway, i wouldn't hold out for it. and who knows about the price. but i think he would make it as cheap as possible. at least with the scarlet, maybe not the epic.

I don't know. The more I look at the micro 4/3 stuff that Panasonic just unleashed, the less interesting Scarlett becomes. The ability to adapt all sorts of lenses, some of which I already have, and the added benefit of actually existing for purchase are fairly compelling. The AF-100 is also $5K, so the price tag thing doesn't surprise me with Scarlett. Frankly, I thought that is what they were going to cost in the first place. Either way, out of my price range and not the right time for me to buy that level of camera just yet.

Having said that, I saw some damn fine sample video (some with stills, but, you know ... still useful ;) ) from the GH2.

Back