• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How much emphasis should I place on theme in this case?

I've always been big on movies and stories, that deal with strong themes. However, I have been told that I put too much emphasis on it.

For example, in the movie Minority Report, at the end...

SPOILER

John Anderton confronts the and tells him how the story's theme has come into play, telling the villain that he has to choose between two options, and either option would complete the story's theme, but both in different ways. He doesn't of course say that that it's the story's theme, but that is what he speaking about.

I had in my script, the hero confront the villain and used the villains theme against him, kind of like in Minority Report.

But I was told by some readers that it they felt it was unrealistic, and a detective like my hero, would use police tactics and actual police work to bring the villain down, cause in real life, the police do not use suspects' themes against them to bring them down.

That is true of course, but how do I write a story, where the police hero can bring a villain down by using the villain's theme against him and still have it believable, although not realistic?

Or do you think perhaps I could be putting too much emphasis on a theme, and it's perfectly fine to bring the villain down without bringing the themes so heavily into play, and just rely on police work, nothing more?

Back