• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How many pages has a short movie?

For beginners, it’s an excellent idea to write short movies. But when is a movie a short movie? How many minutes is the movie long? Or how many pages have the script of a short movie?

1 minute is 1 page... there are exceptions on this. A short movie is a movie of 40 minutes and below. So to answer your question... 40 or less pages. If I was you I would go for 5 or 15 minutes.

@sfoster Nice movie! But the music isn’t the right one. It sound like a beginner (or kid) put it in the movie. And it’s more a thriller-comedy than a thriller.

Yeah I have a version with better music that i never uploaded to youtube, interesting you should mention that.
So what were the funniest parts if you dont mind my asking?

@sfoster Mmh... I think it was the dialog and the cheesy (or even kid-director-like) moves. So, by kid-director-like, I mean that it was shot by kids, who think they are cool now because they made a "movie". No Offense! It just looked like it. Either you are a bad director or the actor is really bad.

I've been working on a comedy thriller that's nearly finished.
Just need this tendonitis to go away and I'll put in the last day of filming.

I doubt any link will help me, I'm just a poser ;)

Ommmmmg I just read that link.

It says the one trick is to trap your progtagonist.
In my film the protagonist is trapped from the very opening scene, wth would you link that to me :lol:

@sfoster Because the protagonist is trapped in the whole movie. At least the examples are telling this in the article. But in Jurassic Park, there is happening more than just "Argh! I’m trapped." I just say, "the t.rex scene!".

@sfoster Because the protagonist is trapped in the whole movie. At least the examples are telling this in the article. But in Jurassic Park, there is happening more than just "Argh! I’m trapped." I just say, "the t.rex scene!".

Jurassic Park is a feature length film.
I linked you to a 2 page short.

Indeed it does not stand up against speilberg, the creator of the greatest movie of all time Schindlers List.
I'm okay with that.

What really confuses me is that my film involved a trapped protagonist and you link me to an article telling me to trap my protagonist. It undermines your credibility.

@sfoster Mmh... I think it was the dialog and the cheesy (or even kid-director-like) moves. So, by kid-director-like, I mean that it was shot by kids, who think they are cool now because they made a "movie". No Offense! It just looked like it. Either you are a bad director or the actor is really bad.

Future Screens are you a real person? What kind of talking is this? You are extremely honest about your opinions and that could be considered a great benefit for your future life, although you need politeness too, but there is something that concerns me. You are passioned about your opinion, but your opinion is objectively wrong. The direction is very nice and the actors was good as well. Especially, the last black man said the "that's why I'm counting on you" with 100% proper vocal tone and 90% proper face expression (I wanted a bit less smile :P). About the music of course you are right, it was unacceptable.

I really want to understand your logic about why you have that opinion about the movie.
Please analyse further if you want.

It wasn't two minutes, it was two pages.
It was the story I wanted to tell and I shot in one day for $50 without using actors. It was fun shooting with my friends.

Last edited:
Future Screens are you a real person? What kind of talking is this? You are extremely honest about your opinions and that could be considered a great benefit for your future life, although you need politeness too, but there is something that concerns me. You are passioned about your opinion, but your opinion is objectively wrong. The direction is very nice and the actors was good as well. Especially, the last black man said the "that's why I'm counting on you" with 100% proper vocal tone and 90% proper face expression (I wanted a bit less smile :P). About the music of course you are right, it was unacceptable.

I really want to understand your logic about why you have that opinion about the movie.
Please analyse further if you want.

I poked some fun at future about her excessive focus on orange juice in a screenplay.
I think she's just venting a little at me it's okay :D

Back