• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

how long to edit a 10-15 min short

hey guys, this will be my first 15 min short.
I decided to shoot with a 1080p HD camera and recorded sound apart.

I never would have thought itd be so much work to sync them up :(
how long does it usually take you guys? any tips? thanks

The last time I had to manually sync footage - four tracks (one boom and three lavs.), about three (3) linear visual hours worth and approx. 60 individual clips - it took less than four (4) hours not including import time. The only reason it took so long is that I verified the entire length of the individual clips. All the important stuff was there; visual & verbal slates and on-camera audio.

Sync is pretty fast when you have a good slate. Otherwise, it takes a while.

As far as edit time, it depends on the amount of footage you have. If you only have 2 shots, then it'll edit together pretty quick. We shot over 25 hours of footage for our current short which will be about 10 minutes.... It's taking a while :)

I sinc my audio separate like you too. It normally takes me a few hours to sinc up everything. For every filming, I normally spend 5 hours editing total. This can be shorter or longer depending on what we filmed that day. Audio sinc up always takes up the most time for me.

haha that is alot of clips! good luck. it was really intimidating at first, now its much simpler.
what do you guys edit on? im using avid premire

I use sony vegas on my pc's.. and final cut and imovie on my macs.. Final Cut is the sure mac winner, but I was surprised at how decent iMovie really is... of course I don't do much editing on it but for simple image stabalization it works great.

Also another fantastic editor a bit less expensive that Vegas for a PC is AVS4YOU. It comes in a software package with a bunch of great stuff, and the editor is pretty powerful for the price.

Sync is pretty quick. Now audio post, that's a horse of a different color.

I usually spend about 5-6 hours per screen minute for audio post which includes foley, sound effects, dialog, room tones, and ambience. This does not include scoring which I don't do but I typically plan for about the same 5-6 hours per sceen minute for scoring.

It really depends on how much stuff you're doing with it. For narrative video, I tend to spend an average of one hour, per one-minute of edited footage.

But that's just the rough cut. No audio edited, yet. No color correction of grading. Nothing but a rough edit.

It really depends on how much stuff you're doing with it. For narrative video, I tend to spend an average of one hour, per one-minute of edited footage.

But that's just the rough cut. No audio edited, yet. No color correction of grading. Nothing but a rough edit.

That seems reasonable. I have no idea how many hours my editor spends, I'm sure waaaay too many for what I pay him.

Give dualeyes a try

I just finished a feature and took the same approach you did, using a separate mic for sound and only getting rough sound from the camera's on board mic. During a very long production period, I also did some shorts and edited portions of the feature for practice.

I hated syncing the sound, absolutely loathed it. The idea of syncing hundreds of clips filled me with dread. But I was reading the idiot's guide to 5d shooting and suddenly, the clouds parted, light parted the darkness, the flood subsided, and the locusts disappeared when I found.... DualEyes!

It takes all of the sound and video files, and automatically syncs sound, replaces the mic sound into the video footage, and even corrects for drift.

I kid you not when I say that the single most emotionally uplifting experience out of the last 12 months of shooting was seeing this software work. They also have other software that syncs sound directly within various editors, too, but this is the foundation and it's free for 30 days too.

http://www.singularsoftware.com/dualeyes.html

Btw, no relationship to the company or the idiot's guide. Just an incredibly relieved trial user.

Hooray for trial downloads! I'm totally gonna use that.

Oh, and actually, I spent longer than previously mentioned (1hr/1min) on "Antihero". I'd say I spent about 120 hours on the first edit of 79 minutes of movie.

Back