How good is filming?

Just want to say how good filming is. Recently shot a music vid with the fantastic FilmAutre and just want to say it's ridiculous we get paid for this stuff.

Was sitting with the band editing the vid while they were buying pizza and plying me with beer, telling me how excited they were and good it all was. I was enjoying every minute, just loving the creative process, and when we stopped at 2am, I was almost a little disappointed.

Genuinely couldn't believe I was being paid for something this fun.

How good is it for you?

I don't get paid for it, but yeah the production aspects are a lot of fun.

The writing, pre-production, and editing which make up 95% of my work are not fun :)

Good to hear, gorilla!

I have to say, the very very little I've done (a little bit of family wedding videos), it's quite satisfying. I think I've been bitten by the bug.

Last edited:
I don't get paid for it, but yeah the production aspects are a lot of fun.

The writing, pre-production, and editing which make up 95% of my work are not fun :)
Other than pre-production (which is nervewracking), those are the best parts.

And, to respond to the op: probably better than sex.

I totally agree with you. A lot of times when we're wrapping set, and producers are pushing to get everyone home, I get that feeling of "wait, what... it's over? Can't we all stay and hang out?" It's so much fun. So awesome. To quote Fury, "Best job I ever had."

The writing, pre-production, and editing which make up 95% of my work are not fun.

It's so much fun. So awesome. To quote Fury, "Best job I ever had."

I think this is one of the main problems facing many amateur directors who dream of progressing beyond being an amateur. The part of the director's role they really enjoy is the filming. Unfortunately, to make a commercial film, requires that only about 5% of the director's role is the actual filming. Most amateur filmmakers are really hobbyists, rushing through the pre and post chores to get to the fun stuff. That's of course what a hobby should be, it wouldn't be much of a hobby if you didn't enjoy doing it. The problem is that this hobby can't turn into a profession because no one employs directors only for the filming phase.

G

I love it when a plan comes together :)

Some chores (prepping files, first rough cuts of long interviews, transscription of interviews, doing logistical planning while you want to spend that time on the creative plans) are not exciting, but are the building blocks I need as well.
The brainstorming, writing, pre-visualizing, filming and editing are magic.

(Some magic just needs long and hards spells... :P )

Back