• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How does turning up the color tone, look more like film?

I've heard that two aspiring filmmakers that in your camera, if you turn the color tone up to +2, it will give the movie more of a film look. However, I do not see how this is so. Some movies have a more yellow color tone, like Skyfall, The Skin I Live In or The Tree of Life. But there are several movies before the digital age, where the color tone, looks more like it's right in the middle and more pink like The Shawshank Redemption, For Your Eyes Only or Angel Heart.

So movies before the digital age, look like the color tone is turned up to +2 like Lawrence or Arabia, but a lot of others look like the color tone is at zero. So what is it about this motion that +2 looks more like film? Is it just because more recent movies are doing it, like the two I mentioned? What is less film looking about leaving it at zero? I did some tests, and it seems both looks are good, but one does not look more film than the other though.

Last edited:
It doesn't.

Stop looking for one size fits all, most particularly for color grading. There are particular styles that work a lot of the time, but they aren't as simple as "tune the color tone up to +2" - WTF is that anyway? Adding saturation? What would happen if it's already over saturated?

I'm not saying it's a one size fits all solution, I'm just saying I was told that that's a good color tone setting. I know there are other factors involved for getting a certain look of course. I was just wondering if anyone is in agreement that +2 looks better. I'm not talking saturation, I'm talking about 'color tone', as it's called in the camera. The saturation itself is best left at zero and not above.

I had a 2 second look on google. If you're talking about shifting the hue within the camera, don't. Just don't. Unless there is a problem within your camera where you need to do this (in which, you should really replace the camera) what you're doing is a procedure that should be done in post production (if required), while you're in production. It's about as moronic as trying to achieve sound depth during production. Do a proper white balance and shoot.

To achieve that great cinematic look you need to do a lot of things. Just one part is the camera settings. Production design, lighting, contrast, color contrast, camera movement, wardrobe, actor movement and so on all contribute to that film look.

Otherwise, leave it to your cinematographer to make those decisions.

Back