• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you keep going to the end?

Right now I'm having trouble pushing through on writing my script. I thought the film out a dozen times and even have the outline taped to my wall. Thing is, I just seemed to run out of motivation to finish the script. I have a little under 1/5th done as a first draft, but don't feel the want to continue. I have every reason to continue. I'll be getting brand new equipment which I will be using to film it with (after some practice). It's a kinda original idea, so I'm not just re-writing what other people have written. I created the settings and sets extensively and have even done a few frames of concept art of them. I think that the way the story is played out in my head would be interesting enough on film to keep people's attention. Then why can't I seem to want to finish it?

What things do you do when you lose steam (if you do) to finish a script to motivate yourself to continue?

I have found there are four kinds of writers: visual, verbal, action, and emotive. Each has strengths and weaknesses that can cause roadblocks. From your description, it seems you are a visual screenwriter. Most writer/directors are visual or action writers. Each style has strengths, weakness, writing characteristics and certain blocks. Writers dabble in all of the styles but there is usually a preferred style.

Visual screenwriters tend to see the scenes play out in their mind. They can see angle shots and envision rich sets. One drawback is they tend to write too much detail into their scripts. However, they often can see the whole plot arc for their story. When they get writer's block, it's usually due to dialogue and relationships of their characters. They know who is in the scene and can picture them interacting, but actually writing the dialogue to seem natural and move the story can sometimes bottleneck their writing.

Rather than set it aside, my suggestion is that you simply write a treatment where dialogue is not a concern. Finish doing your storyboard. I'm not suggesting you set aside your script, but rather focus your strength on visualizing the story.

You can opt to pull in a co-writer who is verbal. These writers are adept at provocative, natural, nuanced dialogue. Or if you go it alone, you might engage two actor friends to help you. Give them the previous, current, and subsequent scenes and character descriptions and let them improvise. And as it happens, record it then go back and pull out the pieces you liked for your script. It may inspire other thoughts. The beauty of working with a group of writers is that ideas are always tossed about by the combination of the four writing styles.

For the moment, just focus on putting the characters in the right places and describe the actions going on. You're looking through the window. Later after the storyboard and treatment, you can go back and eavesdrop and fill in the dialogue.

The story is still inside, so don't give up hope. Sometimes it is good to take a break. Good luck.

Nailed it right on the head FantasySciFi. The biggest complaint that I received for my last short was that it was too slow and too long. Legitimate complaints. Just today I decided to take out over two pages of descriptions and actions and replace it with "I checked all of the appliances in my house. The noise wasn't coming from in there."

Because I have finally realized that I do work best with visualizations, and not with seeing what is needed and what is not.

One thing I find helps is to separately start writing out the scene in a very detailed way, almost like a shot list. Once you have the scene completely visualised it can almost play out in your head like you were watching it, and then, hopefully, you'll almost watch the dialogue appear. I suppose you need a good imagination, or just a really good understanding of your story, but from the sounds of it you have at least one of those.

Everyone has their own method. I'm not a writer, but I do need to get creative when doing my work. But that is the point; audio post is my job. I have to get it done or I don't get paid.

As many here know most of my earlier life was spent as a professional musician, mostly as a performer. So I worked out every day, I practiced every day, I learned new material every week, and I performed four to eight times each week.

And that is the point; like it or not, good weather or bad, happy or sad, I had to get it done every single day. So you need to do the same; this is your profession, you have to treat it like a job. Pick the same time every single day to sit in front of your computer. Turn off your phone(s), turn off your TV, turn off your 'net connection or, as Lucky mentioned, go someplace with fewer distractions - but make sure your damned phone is off!!!

And, as a number of others have mentioned, don't worry about the initial quality. Just regurgitate, you can clean it up later.

If you get REALLY stuck, lampoon your project - do everything wrong. If it's a drama write a few pages as a comedy, if it's action/adventure turn your protagonist into a klutz... Trash it, make fun of it... you get the idea. The point is to achieve a new perspective of the project.

The most important aspect is the discipline, spending a specified amount of time every day doing exactly the same thing - practicing your profession.

Back