tv How do TV producers commission custom theme songs for TV shows?

When a TV producer/production company produces a new TV show, how do they get a custom theme song for it? Who do they commission? How do they commission it? Do they contact underground/unsigned artists? Big names? Record labels? Companies that specialize in producing theme songs? License music that already exists? Do you know of anyone who had to commission such a thing? What did they do, if so? Have you ever had to? What did you do, if so?

No standard. You asked about commissioning custom themes in your question, but then asked if they license existing music. To that end, the answer is no, you do not license existing music to create a custom theme song.

Plenty of shows do license music. They have music producers that reach out to labels, or work at labels to find something appropriate. Some directors/producers have close ties with musicians and they work on music that way (for example Twin Peaks).

Ultimately, in this world of shrinking budgets and increased demand for quick turn around time, finding existing music or at least having a starting place to then approach and artist to tweak from is the most likely way to go.

All the options you gave are a possibility.
How?
They just make sure to contact the ones they need. :P

No standard. You asked about commissioning custom themes in your question, but then asked if they license existing music. To that end, the answer is no, you do not license existing music to create a custom theme song.

Plenty of shows do license music. They have music producers that reach out to labels, or work at labels to find something appropriate. Some directors/producers have close ties with musicians and they work on music that way (for example Twin Peaks).

Ultimately, in this world of shrinking budgets and increased demand for quick turn around time, finding existing music or at least having a starting place to then approach and artist to tweak from is the most likely way to go.

I believe the CSI theme songs from The Who had some tweaking to make it 'fit' the length, otherwise it would feel like a sudden cut.

All the options you gave are a possibility.
How?
They just make sure to contact the ones they need. :P

I believe the CSI theme songs from The Who had some tweaking to make it 'fit' the length, otherwise it would feel like a sudden cut.

It always throws me when a movie or TV show uses a song I know note-by-note, and then cuts a few bars out for length. I always feel somehow violated :lol:

This made me curious, so I tried to find out who sings the theme song for chappelle's show.

My searches came up empty o_0

Back