• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I get my music heard?

Are you looking for "commercial" recognition as an artist/musician/composer? Are you looking to have your material placed in projects? Or are you looking to compose for film projects?

Those are three very different things.

As a sometime music supervisor I must say that I found your website off-putting, much too metaphysical for me. I would not recommend you as a composer to my clients on that basis. You appear to have an extremely limited style range. If you are looking for composition gigs your site needs to be more businesslike - list credits and have numerous examples in various styles for potential clients to hear.

If you are looking to pick up a following for your music, again, your site doesn't appeal to me; but then I'm probably not a part of your target audience. But you would need to find your target audience and do a lot of marketing, and marketing for musicians means lots of live performances.

If you want your material placed in films you will have to spend many hours going through postings of films looking for material and trying to figure out if your style of music will fit the project, and then put together a proposal that would interest the filmmaker. You may want to submit your songs to music library vendors.

You can't just make your music and the sit around and hope the world will fall in love with it. It takes endless hours of marketing and networking to get your name and music around, and if you are lucky you will develop a small following.

Are you on Linked-In, MySpace, FaceBook, etc.?

A great way to get your music into a film would be to find a local amateur filmmaker and see if you can collaborate. Filmmaking seems to be the new pick-up basketball...lots of folks are doing it. It shouldn't be too difficult to see if there are some local directors or actors working on something, present a portfolio to the director and see if they're interested, on the ground level.

You can also peruse the classified ads here from filmmakers looking for composers and answer them if you haven't tried that already.

Are you looking for "commercial" recognition as an artist/musician/composer? Are you looking to have your material placed in projects? Or are you looking to compose for film projects?

Those are three very different things.

As a sometime music supervisor I must say that I found your website off-putting, much too metaphysical for me. I would not recommend you as a composer to my clients on that basis. You appear to have an extremely limited style range. If you are looking for composition gigs your site needs to be more businesslike - list credits and have numerous examples in various styles for potential clients to hear.

If you are looking to pick up a following for your music, again, your site doesn't appeal to me; but then I'm probably not a part of your target audience. But you would need to find your target audience and do a lot of marketing, and marketing for musicians means lots of live performances.

If you want your material placed in films you will have to spend many hours going through postings of films looking for material and trying to figure out if your style of music will fit the project, and then put together a proposal that would interest the filmmaker. You may want to submit your songs to music library vendors.

You can't just make your music and the sit around and hope the world will fall in love with it. It takes endless hours of marketing and networking to get your name and music around, and if you are lucky you will develop a small following.

Are you on Linked-In, MySpace, FaceBook, etc.?
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback and critique.

A great way to get your music into a film would be to find a local amateur filmmaker and see if you can collaborate. Filmmaking seems to be the new pick-up basketball...lots of folks are doing it. It shouldn't be too difficult to see if there are some local directors or actors working on something, present a portfolio to the director and see if they're interested, on the ground level.

You can also peruse the classified ads here from filmmakers looking for composers and answer them if you haven't tried that already.
Thanks, good advice.

I haven't listened to your whole catalog but there is one work that I would probably use. Here's the thing, after visiting your website and understanding the reverence you have for your compositions....If I were to use any in my piece (which is, ironically a funkified adaptation of the Myth of Demeter) your work would be presented quite campily in this context. Might not be the kind of exposure you would want for your work....not that I'm assuming my film would get oodles of it (exposure) to begin with. What is the licensing for your work, etc?

Back