How do I edit these car sounds to match?

I'm editing my friend's movie and there is a scene I cannot figure out what to do. It takes place inside a closed car, and intercuts outside of the car, a few feet away. I need to make the traffic noises on the outside of the car, sound like they are inside, when the scene cuts back and forth, continuously. Thanks.

Last edited:
First, you have to think like a sound person. That means you spend a lot of time LISTENING. Stand outside a car and listen to the traffic, then get into the car and listen to the traffic. What are the differences?

Once you have figured out the differences you need to use your audio tools - EQ, reverb/effects, etc. - to emulate what happens in the real world. However, you must understand how sound works in order to use those tools effectively.

Here's what you do - you use EQ to add/subtract frequencies so that your ambience sounds like it is inside the car, then add the reverb of the vehicle interior itself. You can always use an IR reverb like Altiverb that has those types of presets.

I'm editing my friend's movie and there is a scene I cannot figure out what to do. It takes place inside a closed car, and intercuts outside of the car, a few feet away. I need to make the traffic noises on the outside of the car, sound like they are inside, when the scene cuts back and forth, continuously. Thanks.

That depends on what audio post role/s you are doing. If you are the Sound Designer you have to decide (with the director) what you want the audience to feel/experience during the scene. For example, are you going to change the audio POV along with the camera POV, baring in mind the effect this will likely have on the audience's perception of the pace and continuity of the scene? If you're going to stick to one audio POV, which one and why? A combination of what you see in the visuals and what you want the audience to feel/experience will dictate what SFX you use.

If you are also acting as the re-recording mixer, the visuals and what you (and the sound designer and director) want the audience to feel/experience will dictate how you process and balance the SFX against each other and against any dialogue and music in the scene.

If you/the director are not interested in what the audience experiences during the scene and just want to stick to what the camera would "hear" then the changes between interior and exterior would best be accomplished following Alcove's advice.

G

Last edited:
Back