• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can I film a mirror relection talking to a characters?

Hey, I have a scene for a solo project that I'm trying to figure out before I get behind and in front of the camera. I have a character who talks to the reflections in two side by side mirrors, how can I shoot that? Do I shoot one reflection then the other then combine in post? I kind of wanna have an over the shoulder behind my characters and have the frame be the two reflections. Or maybe a low angle where character stands while the reflections are talking. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Set up the mirrors.
Place the camera off to one side of the actor.
Adjust the two mirrors until the actor appears in both of them
but the camera cannot be seen.
If the actor looks into the mirror - directly at the camera - it
will look like he is looking directly at himself in the mirror.

Greenscreen the character, film the mirrors empty, then corner pin the composites to the mirrors.

This method will also allow you to have the mirror images talk back to the original, if you ever need that effect.

Thanks guys. Nate, I think a green screen could be complicated. I'm looking for something kind of simple. Maybe to give a little bit more detail. I'd be the character and the reflections (two small circular mirrors) are my imagination helping me write a story but they're more malevolent. its basically me talking to my reflection but I wanna shoot it in a way where I can film behind my actual person but focus on the reflection talking. Then when the reflections talk to each other filming the three of us or maybe just them two talking. If I'm talking into the mirror but dialogue my reflection would be saying how can I do it so that its not obvious to the viewer I'm talking to myself.

I think I might try rik's idea as it seems less technical more of a point and shoot type thing.

I might be mistaken, but I think Rik wasn't quite clear on your original question (neither was I, until you clarified it in your second post). His shooting technique would get you a great shot for someone talking to an inanimate mirror. But if I understand correctly, you want to be able to speak to a magical mirror, one that will talk back, like a real conversation?

If that's the case, then Nate's method a great way to go. However, it does depend on which software you're using (they don't all handle keying the same).

Another way to do it (if you've got the right software) would be to rotoscope the edges of the mirror. If the camera is locked down, and if the shoulder doesn't ever cross the line that would be rotoscoped, this would be the easiest and fastest rotoscoping, ever.

If you don't have software that can easily key (green screen) or rotoscope, you can always use an old-school split-screen effect. 80's sitcoms used this effect all the time, when the lead would meet their long-lost forgotten twin/doppleganger. I used it in my very first short, with a shitty computer, and a really old version of Premiere, and it worked brilliantly. All you gotta do is lock down the camera, keep the lighting perfectly consistent, and don't allow either image to cross over the other. And then in post, you just crop.

Your easiest solution depends on your software's capabilities. Let me know what you're working with, and I might be able to give you a little more detail on how to make this work.

I might be mistaken, but I think Rik wasn't quite clear on your original question (neither was I, until you clarified it in your second post). His shooting technique would get you a great shot for someone talking to an inanimate mirror. But if I understand correctly, you want to be able to speak to a magical mirror, one that will talk back, like a real conversation?

If that's the case, then Nate's method a great way to go. However, it does depend on which software you're using (they don't all handle keying the same).

Another way to do it (if you've got the right software) would be to rotoscope the edges of the mirror. If the camera is locked down, and if the shoulder doesn't ever cross the line that would be rotoscoped, this would be the easiest and fastest rotoscoping, ever.

If you don't have software that can easily key (green screen) or rotoscope, you can always use an old-school split-screen effect. 80's sitcoms used this effect all the time, when the lead would meet their long-lost forgotten twin/doppleganger. I used it in my very first short, with a shitty computer, and a really old version of Premiere, and it worked brilliantly. All you gotta do is lock down the camera, keep the lighting perfectly consistent, and don't allow either image to cross over the other. And then in post, you just crop.

Your easiest solution depends on your software's capabilities. Let me know what you're working with, and I might be able to give you a little more detail on how to make this work.

I was just coming back to suggest this. if you can frame your shot right, this is as simple as shooting twice, and dragging a box around half your screen.

I was just coming back to suggest this. if you can frame your shot right, this is as simple as shooting twice, and dragging a box around half your screen.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, especially since I'm quite sure that Nate and I agree 100% on this one. However, I do want to clarify some of the language, just to make sure the OP is on the same page.

It'd be done as one shot. The camera can't move, not even slightly. If anyone even sneezes near it, the shot could be ruined (if you're doing old-school split-screen). So, if this is your method, you press record, shoot the first half of the shot, then have your actor/actress move and shoot the second half of the shot. And your camera stays perfectly still, recording the whole thing. So, it's almost as if you're doing two shots, but for it to be effective, it's gotta be one. :)

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, especially since I'm quite sure that Nate and I agree 100% on this one. However, I do want to clarify some of the language, just to make sure the OP is on the same page.

It'd be done as one shot. The camera can't move, not even slightly. If anyone even sneezes near it, the shot could be ruined (if you're doing old-school split-screen). So, if this is your method, you press record, shoot the first half of the shot, then have your actor/actress move and shoot the second half of the shot. And your camera stays perfectly still, recording the whole thing. So, it's almost as if you're doing two shots, but for it to be effective, it's gotta be one. :)

Yes, cracker knows what I'm talking about, sorry if that was unclear. Bolt that camera to the floor and make sure nobody breathes until you're done shooting, then it's just a split screen with perfectly matching halves.

Thanks guys. Cracker and Nate that's what I had in mind originally, I was going to do one shot of one mirror, then a shot of second mirror then superimpose the one shot into the main shot to make one. Thank god its only 9 pages, it'd be pretty rough doing this for a feature.

Software is Imovie for right now but might be working with premiere if my buddy gets back to me. I was also think about a split screen but would a superimpose work. Kinda just cutting the mirror outta one shot and adding it to the blank mirror in the other shot.

Yep, I didn't red clearly enough. I didn't catch that the reflected
image would be talking back.

I did this on super 8 film years ago. MUCH harder because I had
to do it in camera. Too bad I only have it on film - it actually
looked pretty good. I see no reason why you can't do it quite
easily using iMovie and layering.

Back