• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hot/stuck pixel removel in Premiere Pro CS5.5 (mac)?

My DSLR has two hot pixels that show up once I go past ISO-1600. Does anyone know of a good way to remove them directly in Premiere Pro? I'd like to not have to run footage through After Effects due to the time cost incurred.

I found a plug-in call RE:Fill but it's unwieldy and not good for simple spot removal.

If it's in EVERY shot (you used the same camera every take) I'd do this:

1. Bring the edited sequence into a brand new sequence.

2. Duplicate that into a second video layer. Should be two identical now on top of each other.

3. Use the 4 point garbage matte effect on the top layer and mask off you just see one pixel right next to the dead pixel.

4. Move that layer one pixel over so that covers the dead pixel in the layer below.

With two dead pixels, do the same thing in a third layer on top of the other two.

Now, you can still edit the original sequence, then go back and render out the pixel fix sequence for distribution.

If it's only in a few clips (you uses different cameras on set), I'd take the time to copy individual clips using the same technique. Way more time consuming, but yeah.

Hope that helps! That's my technique, there may be an easier one.

Happen to know of any filters? I have to fix the stuck pixel before noise removal (the noise filter impacts a larger area around stuck pixels), and having to have the noise filter run on two separate video layers will be even slower, necessitating yet another sequence-within-a-sequence approach. Argh.

Back