• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hit Film ultimate

Looks like a very good program. It seems to have the clean interference of FCPX and the advanced tools of programs like AE and Premiere. Not to mention a very reasonable price for indie filmmakers.

The only problems that bother me are the lack of audio tools and non-compatibilty with AE plug-ins.

I can't wait until it comes to Mac!

:)

Looks like a very good program. It seems to have the clean interference of FCPX and the advanced tools of programs like AE and Premiere. Not to mention a very reasonable price for indie filmmakers.

The only problems that bother me are the lack of audio tools and non-compatibilty with AE plug-ins.

I can't wait until it comes to Mac!

:)

In that case, that shall be my purchase in a few weeks heh :D I have used the trial version earlier
(since I'm a windows dude) and on there you gett features just no export to PC. Just Export to YT at SD. Its very fun to play with to say the least. Well, I got it just after I posted this hah. Still its fun.

Considering Chimps comments regarding lack of audio tools be sure that the program has adequate audio export capabilities - OMF or AAF - so you can export for proper audio post work in a good DAW.

Considering Chimps comments regarding lack of audio tools be sure that the program has adequate audio export capabilities - OMF or AAF - so you can export for proper audio post work in a good DAW.

I posted a question in the users forum since I can't peek at the PC export settings until I actually buy the product. Lets hope it can.

Hey all,

How ya doing? I hope well.

I am looking at getting hit film, however I'm unsure. What are your views on it?

Keep filming :D

JP

HitFilm is a great product. It is a basic editor, but it's strength definitely isn't there. Primarily, it's a 3D compositing, VFX, particle engine, 2D/3D tracking program. It works best with another editor for the actual edit. I think it's editing capabilities are better than AE for example, but it definitely isn't trying to be an "editor" to replace a dedicated editor. It's a VFX program providing a basic editor to allow someone to do simple things without having to switch around programs (or buy multiple). That is why they've partnered with Sony to bundle/integrate HitFilm and Sony Vegas Pro/Movie Studio, and the integration there is very slick and easy.

If you want to get very good VFX done quickly and easily, I think it's a better choice than AE. It doesn't have the broad range of plug-ins that AE does, nor are there 3rd party ones, but over all, it seems easier to use and is a lot less money. The argument changes somewhat with the CC option, but even at $50 a month, you're committing to $600 for the year at a minimum, and more to continue using it.

I like it, and when freddiew was doing his VGHS series, I remember watching some tutorials on how they did some of the VFX in HitFilm and how it was so much simpler than what they had been doing in AE.

CraigL

I use Hitfilm 2. You can download a free trial.

It has very basic exporting abilities. H.264 mp4 and uncompressed AVI, perhaps DV/HDV I forget.

It's a very nice and easy to use VFX compositing program. It has a lot of prebuilt effects. My only issue has been the lack of export options.

I do most of my work in After Effects, but I still do some things in Hitfilm 2 because their preset effects make it easy.

Back