Hi my name is Paul Cating and I'm a composer!

Howdy folks!

My name is Paul Cating and I'm a composer and sound engineer (I hope that's alright!) You might be wondering why a composer went looking for filmmaker forums and it's really quite simple. There can be a lot of crossover between what we do when it comes to low budget (and no budget) stuff. I'd like learn more about film (and as it happens I'm equipped with a nice DSLR and do some photography but I also have an eye and an ear for directing). But more than that I want to contribute information on the sound side. I'm sure there are those of you who have had sync issues, or get lot's of noise in your recordings and you're probably wondering what you can do about it. As it happens there are a few simple technical tidbits and tricks that can improve recordings and fix sync issues, so I'd like to make myself an available resource for audio questions!

The other reason to be here is that I'd love an opportunity to work on some great films as a composer. I've built up a studio, and a massive sample library collection but I haven't had a chance to attach it to some really great film (other than a few trailers I re-scored for fun).

My philosophy is pretty simple, as a composer I'm truly a translator and my Rosetta Stone is Music.

If anyone has an interest in checking out some of my work you can check my site.

http://www.lockeinkeyproductions.com

and there's even more on my soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/paul-cating

Oh and something with Film, music by yours truly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zVbR0ZjOQ

Cheers!

Paul Cating

Welcome to the Forum. I live near Boston too -- maybe we will collaborate on something together someday. Looking forward to checking out your work.

Welcome! My GF moves to boston next month for two years.
I'm sure I'll be up there from time to time visiting her.

Although I won't have a "great" film for a couple of years I'm working on a fun crime thriller web series right now.

Welcome to the Forum. I live near Boston too -- maybe we will collaborate on something together someday. Looking forward to checking out your work.

Thanks!

It's nice to find people around the Boston area. Yeah if you're ever in need of a composer I'd love to chat (or if you just have audio questions, I'm just a PM or email away!)

Do you have links to your work around? Since I'm on a filmmaker forum I might as well check out the local films!

Welcome! My GF moves to boston next month for two years.
I'm sure I'll be up there from time to time visiting her.

Although I won't have a "great" film for a couple of years I'm working on a fun crime thriller web series right now.

Thanks!

Small world aint it?

You have any episodes released? I'd love to take a look!

Oh very cool! Well if you need a composer, give me a shout!

I definitely will once this is finished, I do have my cast and should start filming soon but I've got like 40 pages to go through.

For the sound on that one I download the audio tracks and did it myself.

I definitely will once this is finished, I do have my cast and should start filming soon but I've got like 40 pages to go through.

For the sound on that one I download the audio tracks and did it myself.

Awesome! Well I'm looking forward to this.

Yeah it's pretty amazing what you can cut together from the internet.

Hi Paul,

My name is Augusto and I am from Brisbane, Australia. I have been listening to your work this morning and is awesome. I always like to hear the music before imagining it for my film and you have a lot of cool soundtracks. My little film 'The Tempus Elixir' is almost done now, but perhaps we could collaborate in the near future?.

Hey Paul,
Your music is really good. I loved Tavern Dance. While it's fantastic, I think if you take away the "human" sounds in the background and do a test to see if people like it with or without the BG, it would be interesting. I love the melody, I love the instruments, I love the rhythm on it and start visualizing rolling meadows, or a camera moving at a medium pace over tree-tops, and then those sounds keep taking me out my feeling.

But everything else about it I really, really enjoyed.

Cheers :)
Aveek

Hi Paul,

My name is Augusto and I am from Brisbane, Australia. I have been listening to your work this morning and is awesome. I always like to hear the music before imagining it for my film and you have a lot of cool soundtracks. My little film 'The Tempus Elixir' is almost done now, but perhaps we could collaborate in the near future?.

Hey Augusto, really glad to hear you like my music! Do you have any of your work on youtube? I'd love to take a look! And yeah, I'm sure at some point we could collaborate.

Hey Paul,
Your music is really good. I loved Tavern Dance. While it's fantastic, I think if you take away the "human" sounds in the background and do a test to see if people like it with or without the BG, it would be interesting. I love the melody, I love the instruments, I love the rhythm on it and start visualizing rolling meadows, or a camera moving at a medium pace over tree-tops, and then those sounds keep taking me out my feeling.

Aveek

Hey Aveek,

Thanks! Really glad you like my music. You're talking about the chants ("ho ho") in the background yeah? I can easily remove those. I may toy with that actually, I like this idea of meadows.

Cheers!
Paul

Hey Paul,

Aveek

Hey Paul, my youtube account is where I put my experiments but you can check my last project here.

https://www.facebook.com/thetempuselixir

We are sending it soon to Sundance so finger cross.

See you soon!

Back