Hi everyone

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a student filmmaker, forced to teach myself because my school doesn't have a film studies program. I work with a great crew of other students and we bum off our school's tv studio's resources. I'm obsessed with all levels of filmmaking--writing, camerawork, some acting, choreography, editing, etc.--and have recently gotten very serious about producing good work, rather than just playing with a camera.

I'm here to learn, here to share. This year, I'm working on an wuxia (martial arts) short film, and this is my first year to have a real crew together. Simple things like budgeting, scheduling, contracts--things I probably would have learned in the first week of film school--are things I've had to learn the hard way.

So yeah, I'm getting serious about my film work now, reading books, joining this forum etc. You all look like a good crowd, passionate about what you do, and I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you.

By the by, anyone out there interested in wuxia? It's the genre I'm most experienced with as a filmmaker, though I intend on branching out after this year's film, seeing as I have rather eclectic tastes. I'm mainly interested in shorts, though that could change as I get more time, money and other resources.

Sup xuetang
Welcome Aboard, You'll find this site extremely help and informative. I know I have so far. They’re a great bunch of people here willing to help.

King Goldfish said:
Welcome xuetang. are you in the states or Asia? never heard of that form of martial arts.

anyways, Welcome.

Thanks. I'm in the States. Wuxia is actually a genre of literature (books, graphic novels, film) and not a specific martial art. It's really similar to standard kung fu movies, which are often called wuxia, but it's meant to be a little deeper than simple action. Films like Crouching Tiger, Hero, Once Upon a Time in China, House of Flying Daggers--those are wuxia. Ones like Kiss of the Dragon, Rush Hour, etc.--those are just kung fu movies.

Interesting. You learn something everyday ;)!

Welcome! There are some really great people here from every level of filmmaking.

Welcome dude.

I'm a collector of odd Hong Kong kungfu comics and studied Li Family Kung Fu for many years, so I await your projects with interest .

What between Zensteve, yourself and my stand up comedy alter ego of Clive the Zen Clown, we've practically got a Shaolin monastery here.

(PS. I know Shaolin is Chinese and Zen is Japanese, it's just I don't get to use the word Shaolin often enough)

clive said:
I'm a collector of odd Hong Kong kungfu comics and studied Li Family Kung Fu for many years, so I await your projects with interest .

What between Zensteve, yourself and my stand up comedy alter ego of Clive the Zen Clown, we've practically got a Shaolin monastery here.

(PS. I know Shaolin is Chinese and Zen is Japanese, it's just I don't get to use the word Shaolin often enough)

Awesome. I'm working on a short right now with some of the best martial artists I've known, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm probably going to post some of my older stuff to the screening room when I get my computer back.

Haha, and yes, we've got a mini Shaolin monastery. And hey, Zen is just the Japanese pronunciation of a Chinese character (Chan), which itself evolved from Shaolin Buddhist practice. So it works! Plus, "Shaolin" just sounds cool.

Welcome... I'm bad at hello's.. & not too great & goodbye's.. but everything else is reasonable.. he he.

just to clear things up straight away.. I am the female mr.blonde.. there is also a male one.

Mr.Blonde said:
Welcome... I'm bad at hello's.. & not too great & goodbye's.. but everything else is reasonable.. he he.

just to clear things up straight away.. I am the female mr.blonde.. there is also a male one.

hi hi! my original name was gonna be mr. purple, but someone else on another board is mr. purple.

Reservoir Dogs of course!

Joe: And you are Mr. Pink.
Mr. Pink: Why am I Mr. Pink?
Joe: Cause you're a faggot, ok?
Mr. Pink: How about I be Mr. Purple?
Joe: No, You can't be Mr. Purple.
Mr. Pink: Why not?
Joe: Someone on another job is Mr. Purple!
Mr. White: Who cares what your name is?
Mr. Pink: Oh yeah that's easy for you to say you've got a cool sounding name. How about we trade, OK? You're Mr. Pink.

Ha ha ha!! God damn.. I didn't pick that up & reservoir dogs is like my all time favourite film..

I like you already.

Back