• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hey Newbs - STOP BUYING CAMERAS!

Yo, the camera on my new Galaxy S7 is fucking sweeeeeet! You wouldn't believe the amount of control I'm able to take, from ISO to white balance, I'm in charge of this camera. Okay, so I can't change lens. Whatever, there are worse struggles in life. Oh, and it does really well in low light!

Even if the fancy Galaxy S7 isn't an option for you, I'm pretty sure you can just use whatever phone you've already got.

The only things you need to purchase out of the gate are a tripod and a tripod-mount for your phone. You also need a semi-decent computer to edit on.

Fuck a camera. You're not ready for a camera. Fuck a microphone. You're not ready for a microphone. I'll give you permission to purchase a camera and a mic when you've learned how to tell a story with visuals and sound, and you can do that with the thing you already have in your pocket.

I cannot afford a Galaxy S7. Screw you rich bastard. I'm off to buy an Alexa.

You also need a semi-decent computer to edit on.

You can edit Galaxy footage on a pretty shitty machine. Oh wait, I'll translate. Fuck you, you're not ready for a semi-decent computer! I'll tell you when you're ready ;)

I cannot afford a Galaxy S7. Screw you rich bastard. I'm off to buy an Alexa.

You can edit Galaxy footage on a pretty shitty machine. Oh wait, I'll translate. Fuck you, you're not ready for a semi-decent computer! I'll tell you when you're ready ;)

:lol:

I know you're feelin' what I'm putting down here. I'm trying to lead a revolution. There is about to be a whole new generation of filmmakers who ain't got no fucks to give. :yes:

I know you're feelin' what I'm putting down here.

There is another side of the coin. if you have the spare cash and a new camera gives them the courage to go out and shoot, go for it. If the equipment is the excuse not to shoot, you're dead on.

I've have the exact opposite issue. My DOP cannot stop spending. Almost every time I see him, he has a new toy.

There is another side of the coin. if you have the spare cash and a new camera gives them the courage to go out and shoot, go for it. If the equipment is the excuse not to shoot, you're dead on.

I've have the exact opposite issue. My DOP cannot stop spending. Almost every time I see him, he has a new toy.

I totally endorse the spending that your DP does. Cuz they are a DP. I'm speaking to newbs, first-time filmmakers who don't yet know if they're even going to enjoy doing this. And if they do enjoy it, which particular task do the want to specialize in? They don't know, cuz they haven't gotten their feet wet yet.

My advice is to just start making movies, and apply a strong focus to both audio and visuals, using nothing but the phone in your pocket. You can purchase equipment later, once you've started to figure out what you enjoy doing, what you're good at, and what equipment you need to accomplish the goals that are particular to you.

Get your feet wet. You don't need expensive purchases to do that.

i often advise people to use a cell phone too.

although i can imagine the look on an actors face when they show up and that is your camera :lol:

:lol:

I think it should be part of the briefing or casting call to mention that tiny detail.
:P

That's probably a good idea. But the people I'm giving this advice to are usually relegated to begging friends/family to act in their initial project, half of whom won't even show up. But yeah, honesty, and being on the same page is a good idea. :yes:

That's probably a good idea. But the people I'm giving this advice to are usually relegated to begging friends/family to act in their initial project, half of whom won't even show up. But yeah, honesty, and being on the same page is a good idea. :yes:

I know.
I have given the cell phone advice a number of times to newbees.
(It is not always well recieved :P )
And most newbees (my intention in using this word is respectful) indeed have to rely on friends the first time(s).
Which is fine: the first videos I made was with friends and classmates.

And yes: on every level honesty and being on the same page is important. It doesn't matter whether you are just starting out or you are working with big budgets and huge stars. Unpleasant surprises will ruin the shoots :)

Yo, the camera on my new Galaxy S7 is fucking sweeeeeet! You wouldn't believe the amount of control I'm able to take, from ISO to white balance, I'm in charge of this camera. Okay, so I can't change lens. Whatever, there are worse struggles in life. Oh, and it does really well in low light!

Even if the fancy Galaxy S7 isn't an option for you, I'm pretty sure you can just use whatever phone you've already got.

The only things you need to purchase out of the gate are a tripod and a tripod-mount for your phone. You also need a semi-decent computer to edit on.

Fuck a camera. You're not ready for a camera. Fuck a microphone. You're not ready for a microphone. I'll give you permission to purchase a camera and a mic when you've learned how to tell a story with visuals and sound, and you can do that with the thing you already have in your pocket.

Tough love. That's what the newbs get! They've been coddled for far too long is what I say- you too?!! It's so easy, it's sofuckingeasy- no it's not, it's fucking hard and you lose more than you win, at least in my case. Don't think just because you're super stoked and enthusiastic (both the same,btw), that it automatically equals success. It doesn't. There's a boatload of eager beavers out there that have no idea of what's waiting for them. Total and complete failure.

Tough love. That's what the newbs get! They've been coddled for far too long is what I say- you too?!! It's so easy, it's sofuckingeasy- no it's not, it's fucking hard and you lose more than you win, at least in my case. Don't think just because you're super stoked and enthusiastic (both the same,btw), that it automatically equals success. It doesn't. There's a boatload of eager beavers out there that have no idea of what's waiting for them. Total and complete failure.

Whoah, haha, here comes Debbie Downer! I hope you're being sarcastic. I choose hope and optimism, because why the fuck not?!

I'm not giving tough love, I'm offering what I believe to be sage advice. When you spend money early on, it's mostly wasted, cuz you don't know what the fuck you're doing. Learn and practice some skills first, figure out what you're good at and what you're passionate about, and then spend money accordingly.

If you haven't yet made a short film that you feel confident showing to people, then you ain't got no business spending money on equipment.

So everyone here seems keen to embrace the cell phone for films. Okay.
But don't expect the cinema crew to ever take you seriously. And these are the people making films for a living by the way.

Last edited:
So everyone here seems to embrace the cell phone for films. Okay.
But don't expect the cinema crew to ever take you seriously. And these are the people making films for a living by the way.

LOL
True: I would never show up at a client with a phone to shoot their videos.

But there is a subtle difference between making money with making films and starting out a new (serious) hobby. CF is saying that you don't need to buy the best camera before making your first steps.
To people eager to make films asking about what camera they must buy I say: shoot with what you already have and discover first whether or not it is as cool as you think it is and learn some basics, before putting al your savings into it.
There is no need to delay starting making videos, because changes are you already have a camera in your pocket or otherwise a friend or relative has.

LOL
True: I would never show up at a client with a phone to shoot their videos.

But there is a subtle difference between making money with making films and starting out a new (serious) hobby. CF is saying that you don't need to buy the best camera before making your first steps.
To people eager to make films asking about what camera they must buy I say: shoot with what you already have and discover first whether or not it is as cool as you think it is and learn some basics, before putting al your savings into it.
There is no need to delay starting making videos, because changes are you already have a camera in your pocket or otherwise a friend or relative has.

Nailed it!

I would compare entering filmmaking to entering college. It's damn-near unanimous, for anyone who has a 4-year degree in liberal arts, that when you first enter college (that's "uni" for all of you on the other side of the pond), you have no idea what you want to study. The vast majority of college grads entered with the intent to study one thing but ended up graduating with something entirely different. Just two examples:

My brother entered college thinking he wanted to have a career in the Air Force, so he enlisted in the Air Force Academy. He ended up graduating from the University of Arizona with a Master's Degree in Spanish Liturature. I entered college thinking that I wanted a dual-degree in Music Education and Political Science. Because, yeah, those two disciplines are like peanut butter and jelly. :lol:

I ended up with a B.A. in Anthropology. And here's why I think this happens. When you first enter college, you have no clue what you want to learn simply because you haven't learned anything yet. When I entered college I had literally never even heard of Anthropology. How could I know whether or not I love something that I don't even know exists. The only reason I even first took a class in Anthropology was because my brother recommended it to me.

Same thing with filmmaking. There are sooooo many aspects to it that when you're first starting out, it's literally impossible for you to know what you want to specialize in. I've seen it happen so many times -- a newb goes out and spends a bunch of money on a camera, lenses, and a way-too-fancy shoulder-rig, only to discover that they actually would make a really great (fill-in-the-blank).

A new filmmaker may discover that what they really want to be is a foley artist. Or maybe a gaffer. Or maybe scripty. Or a set designer. 1st AD. Locations Manager. 2nd AC. Sound mixer. The list goes on and on.

Only one of the jobs I listed above requires someone to own a camera and become intimate with how to control it. Only an experienced filmmaker knows which one. And that is precisely my point.

You gotta get your feet wet! Just start making movies, and in due time you'll figure out whether or not it's a good idea for you to spend a bunch of money on a camera all of its accouterments. There's a good chance that might end up being the case. Or, maybe you'll discover that there's other things you should spend your time and money on.

+1 for studying peanut butter and jelly ;)

I studied aerospace engineering for 2 years: very interesting, but I found out I couldn't use my creative energy in a satisfying manner AND I discovered I would never be a great enough engineer to apply at Skunkworks. I was already interested in filmmaking, but I barely had experience, because in the 90s there were no smartphones with cameras, only slow computer and crappy webcams ;)
I quit university, worked for a year and visited artschool on an 'open day' (a day that potential future students can take a look around): I walked into the audiovisual department, looked around, talked with students and I knew I wanted to give it a try.
This is how I ended up in artschool 'studying*' audiovisual design aka the creative art of filmmaking :)

*) It was hard work but fun!

So yeah, it would be a waste to buy gear only to let it collect dust, because the image was nicer than reality :)

Last edited:

Sound advice. I would say that shooting stuff on your phone doesn't allow you to get proper close-ups and medium shots because everything is too in-focus and most zooms are not analogue, they are digital. Which could be done just as easily in post, since your just cropping the image that exists already.

Fuck a camera. You're not ready for a camera. Fuck a microphone. You're not ready for a microphone.

Again, this is fair to say, as long as your talking straight to newbies. I worked for years with an 8mm vhs camera before upgrading to a tiny as hell Canon Vixia HR200. Then I switched to a Canon Rebel T3i, because I felt that I couldn't do my work effectively without the ability to change lenses, and I was right. I also needed the even better resolution.

The main reason I now have a GH4, though, is because I needed to have 4K capability to have clean edge lines when keying out green-screens, and I needed a quality camera that I could spend a short time learning to use before shooting my final movie at college. Cause I was a little late to the party when it came time to reserve camera equipment, so I knew that I'd be better off buying my own to do the job than waste time fudging around with a complicated RED One camera.

I'll give you permission to purchase a camera and a mic when you've learned how to tell a story with visuals and sound, and you can do that with the thing you already have in your pocket.

This is where you lost me.

Who's asking you for permission to do anything? No one. Is every new filmmaker now gonna have to run their work by you to get approval to move up to the next cool piece of hardware? Ain't nobody gonna do that, man.

You may be wanting to start a revolution, but there's a big difference between a revolution and a cult, and the world of film does not need a cult or a cult leader.

And why buy when you can hire or make your own gear? I'm saving a bundle and speeding up my schedule by using tutorials and hiring the really pricey stuff.

Exactly. And to respond to your prior comments, yes, this advice is strictly for newbs, people who haven't even started filmmaking, or maybe just barely have started filmmaking. I'm just advising them to get enough experience to know which aspect of filmmaking they enjoy most and/or excel best at, and then devote as many resources as you can towards that.

As for close-ups, etc, I agree with you. Which is why I'm working on finding a way to attach SLR lenses to my phone. Lots of people have done it before, and you don't need to spend a million dollars on lenses to make it worthwhile. For a newb, I'd say just use your phone, accepting the limitations, then maybe consider attaching SLR lenses to it, then when the time is right, give consideration to purchasing some nicer, pricier equipment.

I also have some advice for how a newb should do audio, cuz using in-cam audio just ain't gonna cut it. I'm going to save the details of my audio advice for newbs on a budget until I release my web-series. It's going to be one of the earliest episodes. :D

Exactly. And to respond to your prior comments, yes, this advice is strictly for newbs, people who haven't even started filmmaking, or maybe just barely have started filmmaking. I'm just advising them to get enough experience to know which aspect of filmmaking they enjoy most and/or excel best at, and then devote as many resources as you can towards that.

As for close-ups, etc, I agree with you. Which is why I'm working on finding a way to attach SLR lenses to my phone. Lots of people have done it before, and you don't need to spend a million dollars on lenses to make it worthwhile. For a newb, I'd say just use your phone, accepting the limitations, then maybe consider attaching SLR lenses to it, then when the time is right, give consideration to purchasing some nicer, pricier equipment.

I also have some advice for how a newb should do audio, cuz using in-cam audio just ain't gonna cut it. I'm going to save the details of my audio advice for newbs on a budget until I release my web-series. It's going to be one of the earliest episodes. :D

My prior comments? On this thread or others? I'm confused. XD

Filming the entire short film on my phone would be so nice and easy. It's good to practice on but, my phone is a geriatric, ailing 16 gig iPhone 4s and I'm not getting any closer to a Red Back spider than I absolutely must. Yay for camera and extreme macro lens hire. :D

Back