Hey! New guy here!

Hey, my name is John. Im 20 years old, I live in Pittsburgh, and I graduated from PTI last October for Multimedia editing and design.
I'm not really sure what exactly to say here, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

When I was a kid, I always loved messing around with cameras, making goofy little homemade TV shows, taping family gatherings, stuff like that. Now Im trying to get into more serious stuff, so signing up here seemed a logical step.
It may be worth mentioning that, although I graduated from PTI more than four months ago, I haven't found so much as a single place I could possibly get a job. There's literally nothing in the PA area in terms of full time positions for video people. That being the case, Im most likely going to go back to PTI, this time for IT and Networking, since that's something that I know PA has a demand for.

Anyway, Im still looking to use what I already learned at PTI, so here I am.
I ordered a camera a few days ago from B&H Photo-video. This one.

In addition to that camera, I have (I think) a decent editing machine:
HP Pavillion Desktop PC.
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
2.83 GHz core 2 quad
6.5 GB RAM
I currently dont have a graphics card, just the crappy one that come built in. I had a XFX Geforce 9500 GT 1GB, but it burned out.
I have Adobe CS4, 3DS max 2010, and FL studio XXL edition for editing, 3D, and music/sound respectively.

I was actually hoping someone could give me an idea of how good/bad my equipment so far is. I only bought the camera a few days ago, so I could still return it if its not good enough.

Nice setup you've got there!

Lots of great people here with great ideas. Don't be afraid to ask anything. Someone, somewhere on these boards has probably seen it, done it, broken it, blasted it, yelled at it or cried at it :). A lot expereince here!

Welcome! :)

As for your equipment, it sounds great. I mean, I've got a Pentium 3 with Adobe Premiere and 150 gigs of memory(will be buying a terra gig drive in near future). I use a Canon 930 for a camera and have a tripod that seems to have an odd sense of "balance".

I think as long as you've got something to edit with, go for it. I know someone who (still!) uses a VHS line editor(you know, mutliple screens and VHS' and LOTS of rewinding and fastforwarding).

Whatever works :)

Last edited:
I've got a Pentium 3 with Adobe Premiere and 150 gigs of memory(will be buying a terra gig drive in near future).
lolwut. :huh:
You have 150 Gigs of Memory? Like, 150 GB RAM? I think you mean a 150 GB Hard drive, cause even though a 64-bit OS can theoretically address up to 192 GB, you'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard with that kind of capacity. I also think you mean a Terabyte hard drive. There's no such thing as a "Teragig"
Hah, sorry. Im a bit of obsessive about stuff like that.

But thanks for the welcome! Im already loving it here! :D

lolwut. :huh:
You have 150 Gigs of Memory? Like, 150 GB RAM? I think you mean a 150 GB Hard drive, cause even though a 64-bit OS can theoretically address up to 192 GB, you'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard with that kind of capacity. I also think you mean a Terabyte hard drive. There's no such thing as a "Teragig"
Hah, sorry. Im a bit of obsessive about stuff like that.

But thanks for the welcome! Im already loving it here! :D

Yea, I'm not too computer savvy lol. Essentially, I have 150 G of useable space on my harddrive(so yeah, 150 GB hard drive-I should know because I had to do some cleaning, as I had 1 "gig" of memory left-verge of computer crash lol-my other half is ticked because they voluntarily uninstalled Sims, and now the computer won't read the install disk again.....oops:blush:)

Right, what I mean to say is I'm looking to get an EXTERNAL drive that I understand has 1000 gigs of memory-hope I got that right!

I'm better at editing than computers...really! ;)

Last edited:
Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

hey welcome to the semi-real world! What it must be like to be a young RCG with your whole life before you! Go to it! Do you have a "show real" of your school projects? Wed love to see it!

Hey thanks all around for the welcome, guys!
Sound is half of the experience
oh, dont I know it. I had that drilled into my brain every day for a year by professor Mark Dobrowolski. "REMEMBER! Audio is 80% of your video!"

Do you have a "show real" of your school projects? Wed love to see it!
I have a portfolio website. We had to create them for our last semester at PTI. The site itself is kinda sucky, but Im a video guy, not a web guy. I like how most of the videos on there turned out, but there are a few things I'd like to go back and change... In fact, I might do that... I do still have all my old project file... (I am a digital pack rat. I NEVER delete anything unless Im sure I'll never need it again.)
ANYHOOOO....
Here is my site.

Let me confuse things a bit more.. :)

In engineering there are a few different approaches to what you do AFTER the prototype is done.

One school of thought is that you tweak it, make adjustments and fix it so that you finally have your product.

Another school, the one I ascribe too, is that you start over, taking what you learned from creating the prototype to improve the next design. This lets you "throw" out the bad, rather than trying to "fix" it, which leaves you with a design that didn't have those flaws to begin with...

Think "1980's models of ford mustang iterative approach" vs "apples redesign of each gen. of ipod"

So, in context, your school projects were prototypes, they were simply tools to your path to learning.. changing them, fixing them up doesn't help you to integrate the new improved methods, rather your just fixing your mistakes.. there is a difference between "fixing a mistake" and "not making that mistake."

It seems that the line between "in school" and "out of school" is a pretty clear one, and it makes sense to me that what you do on "this side of that line" should be better than what you did on the other side! But if you keep going back over that line to fix things, then your not really on this side. :weird:

Oh, ok I see what you mean.
I just wanted to go back and fix those things cause they are portfolio pieces, and I'd like people viewing my work to see my work at its best. If they were just old projects that I'd never use for anything again, I wouldn't bother. I only wanted to tweak them cause they're sitting on the front page of my website, so I'd like to make them better if possible.

Oh, ok I see what you mean.
I just wanted to go back and fix those things cause they are portfolio pieces, and I'd like people viewing my work to see my work at its best. If they were just old projects that I'd never use for anything again, I wouldn't bother. I only wanted to tweak them cause they're sitting on the front page of my website, so I'd like to make them better if possible.

I can appreciate you wanting to do that. I know my first short(which will be on Vimeo any day now ;)), has a lot of warts, lighting being a biggie, but even if I did do a remake of it(and I'm tempted), I would still keep the old one. It has a lot of my energy in it, being first short and all, and I don't know if I could capture it at that moment again the same way :)

But if you're using them for website and portfolio, then I can see brushing them up(just try to keep the old "energy" in them, if you can:))

Back