Hey, I'm Callum O'Neill!

Hi, im Callum O'Neill, im 13 and from Scotland. I took an interest in filmmaking... ooh about, 2 years ago when i made this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WnEl484URc

I dont expect you to watch it, but basically its my sad 1st attempt at a 'short movie'. its crap!!
Now i like to make vlogs, and have got quite good and currently have made 1 short film, but is again not great.

Just wanna say hi and look forward to sharing info with everyone here! ( I may be 13 but i know a fair share about film making so hope i can be friends with everyone!) :->

This is my latest Vlog which i think is quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w7LaQ8xxIc

:->:yes::D:cool::lol::weird:

Welcome! I'm Tinalera. On your left you'll find the buffet, and on the right you'll find a large group of great people discussing making movies and answering lots of questions.

Okay, there's no buffet ;)

Seriously, Welcome :)

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

again.. Kids these days..

GET OFF MY LAWN.. (its an American thing) :)

haha :-> I get the lawn thing, dont worry. also i really dont want to be put into the category of (kid who thinks he can make short films and puts them on youtube, when he doesnt know anything). I know a lot about film making and just hope i can learn some harder and more complicated stuff here. :cool:. One day i do hope to become Director Of Photography in good, medium budget films. :-> Thanks for your welcome Everyone :->

First let me say that the rest of this post is meant in pure spirit of fun an banter..

sorry, but any old man will say at 13 it is NOT POSSIBLE to know a LOT ABOUT ANYTHING.. now, when those same old men were 13 they thought we knew EVERYTHING, just like you!

Lets examine your statement
i really dont want to be put into the category of (kid who thinks he can make short films and puts them on youtube, when he doesnt know anything)

You give several attributes of the category you DONT want to be put in...
  • a kid
  • who thinks he can make short films
  • and puts them on youtube

I do believe those attribute describe you.

Its that last attribute..
doesn't know anything
that your worried about.

What proof do you offer that you do indeed "know a lot?"

Since your comments about your crappy movies (your words not mine) suggest that you do NOT know a lot, I will squarely categorize you as such.

Now that we got that straight, that you do NOT KNOW A LOT, you are categorized with the rest of us, most folks here are here to learn and share, if we "knew a lot" wed surely be out making movies.

Humility is a virtue, if you do not seek it, it will FIND YOU!

Dang kids these days have NO RESPECT for elders! :no::no::no: Man, in my day, If I walked into the corner store and spouted "hey look at me I know a lot!" Id be lucky to get out with only ONE BLACK EYE!:lol:

Dang kids these days have NO RESPECT for elders! :no: Man, in my day, If I walked into the corner store and spouted "hey look at me I know a lot!" Id be lucky to get out with only ONE BLACK EYE!:lol:

What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

Nothin' you done told the b**** twice!

:lol::lol::lol:

sorry, but any old man will say at 13 it is NOT POSSIBLE to know a LOT ABOUT ANYTHING.. now, when those same old men were 13 they thought we knew EVERYTHING, just like you!
I did not at any point state i thought i knew everything, infact, quite the contrary.

That 'short movie' the first link leads to, is utter CRAP! Totally agreed, they are my words. cuz its rubbish.

I recently made a horror/comedy short film called 'The Exorcism' which is also, not great.

My current skill level is way above that of what is shown in 'The Exorcism' so hopefully in my next short film i will show all that i 'know a lot'.

So lets define 'Know a lot': To 'know a lot' is to know a great deal... i cant produce a best selling full length feature film, because if i could, as you said, i wouldnt be here. I think that for 1 year of thorough research and experimentation i have come to know a lot about lighting, screenplay, setup of film scenes, post production, more specifically things to do with blood, amputation, decapitation and bullets, and usage of editing software. I do believe i know enough to be fully clear of the category of 'doesnt know a lot'

i probably dont know more than you so if i lacked respect towards 'my elders' then i apologize.

I dont seek fights or quarrels and enjoyed the challenge of your post.

Lets all be friends and share the information we know to better everyone. :->

Callum,. :->
The Caledonian

An entire YEAR of research and experimentation, that's like what 1/13th of your life! Amazing! :)
Look here my padawan learner, I do not wish to publicly eviscerate you for your CONTINUED insult and plain show of arrogant ignorance. I have given you good council, it is your choice to follow it or not. Perhaps it is better to remain silent and be perceived the fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

If you will but admit your ignorance before the mighty and GREAT ONES on this board, you shall have enlightenment pored upon you, in such abundance that your vessel will not be able to contain it.

You very likely know more than me, I have come to the understanding that I know very little, you certainly seem to have a firm grasp of foul language, to whit i am wholly ignorant. If I were to suggest an suitable act of penance, it would be 475mg hand soap, ingested orally.

Righttt....scare him away before he's even here Wheatgrinder ;)

Seriously, as Wheatgrinder at the beginning of his post, its all in good fun (as in tongue in cheek, as opposed to fist to face).

We're all here because we all have different degrees of knowledge. Any passion for the film is always liked, and we all get along here....really :)

Feel free to ask any questions, there are no dumb questions at all here, and for a place on the internet, that's a rarity!

So enjoy you stay, and don't worry about the shadowy things in the corners-they're just an illusion- really ;)

I will say I wish I had your passion when I was your age-things might have gone differently in my life. Not many people know that they want to do at that age, the face you do is good stuff!

We all do get along here-and welcome your passion.

Last edited:
Ok. So my names callum, not collum (PM)

you said i have a firm grasp foul language: i never swore in any of my posts...

If I were to suggest an suitable act of penance, it would be 475mg hand soap, ingested orally.
is that a joke or are you serious or... what?? i dont have a religion anyway so i live life how i feel is neccesary. ( that sounds arrogant and probably is)

If you will but admit your ignorance before the mighty and GREAT ONES on this board
Are you referring to yourself? (silent snigger)

This board is great. Lets leave this. You did seem a jerk, but i dont think you meant it so i wont take notice of it.

Callum :->

Back