Hey All

Hey there, I'm a student who makes films. I might not have many films or even good ones but my full length feature Jurassic Park: Prime Survival is in the making. You can check some of the world out here.
Basically I like meeting other film-makers and seeing what work you can do. This place looks great.
Oh and if your bored, please check out my site www.delamarepro.com.

That's it about me really, as you can guess I love Jurassic Park and I'm hoping to get this fan film quite big. We're continuing with filming after Christmas, it's going to be fun.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This has copyright infringement written all over it. I hope you don't try to make any money off of it -- ever.

Also, I certainly hope a lot more effort goes into the CG in the final project than has been done in your sample.

This has copyright infringement written all over it. I hope you don't try to make any money off of it -- ever.

Also, I certainly hope a lot more effort goes into the CG in the final project than has been done in your sample.

Fiar point but guys fan films get made ALL the time and often can provide a way to get noticed quickly (remember the Batman fan film years ago).

Oh and WELCOME and I wish you the best is normally a nice way to start for a new member!!! Ha! Seriously though they are right but used teh right way it could have other benifits.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I have better CGI now and I don't think Universal would care as it is a Fan Film. Check out fanfilms.net, many of them.
I really didn't mean to get on anyones nerves, I just joined because I though talking with movie-makers would be fun.
Thanks, anyway.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I have better CGI now and I don't think Universal would care as it is a Fan Film. Check out fanfilms.net, many of them.
I really didn't mean to get on anyones nerves, I just joined because I though talking with movie-makers would be fun.
Thanks, anyway.

Jack - no one was offended. You asked us to check out your movie.
Did you think no one would offer their opinion? Did you not want
to hear the opinion of others?

Everyone welcomed you with open arms and friendship. I don't see
how you got the impression anyone was offended. And you got some
excellent advice.

You have a pretty good movie going here. You're right, Universal won't
care about a fan film. But we are all movie makers who love talking
about making movies. So you shouldn't be surprised when other movie
makers tell you their honest opinion. And I agree, by using the Jurassic Park
logo and name you are restricting what you can do with all your hard work
and talent. It will forever be just a fan film. However, if you change that
and create your own title you can have an original movie you can be
proud of and show in festivals or sell on DVD.

Wait so if it's Jurassic Park: Prime Survival I cannot sell it on DVD? There has been a fan film, www.jurassicpeople.com, they sold it on DVD. I have not been told by any JP fan or anyone helping on the film that there will be problems putting something that Universal don't care about on DVD to show I'm a fan. I could ask them, maybe send a few letters in the hope they get at least one to know whats going on.

Wait so if it's Jurassic Park: Prime Survival I cannot sell it on DVD? There has been a fan film, www.jurassicpeople.com, they sold it on DVD. I have not been told by any JP fan or anyone helping on the film that there will be problems putting something that Universal don't care about on DVD to show I'm a fan. I could ask them, maybe send a few letters in the hope they get at least one to know whats going on.
I don't mean to discourage you. I really liked the clip on your
website so I wish you the biggest audience you can get.

"Jurassic People" is a parody. And a short. Those two aspects make
it very different from what you are doing. Right now you are
working on a feature that infringes on several copyrights - if you
are comfortable doing that, and doing it without contacting a
lawyer, then there is no reason why you shouldn't continue. Fan
films are made all the time and every once in a while the
filmmaker gets a little notice. But the filmmakers who get the
most notice are those that make original films.

My suggestion that you drop the copyrighted material and continue
using only original content is just my advice based on
experience. You might find Universal isn't going to allow you to
sell DVD of your movie - but maybe they will.

One thing about joining a group like this one is you will connect
with people who actually know the business and are happy to share
their knowledge. And often that knowledge and advice isn't what
you have heard in the past - or want to hear.

Do what ever you feel is best, jack.

Alright, thanks for the help and info on this ;). I am unsure what to do. I think Universal (if they see it) will just take is as "there are still fans". It might help production with the forth movie, you'll never know.

That's a best case scenario.. though you have to at least recognize that copyright infringement can carry with it stiff fines and jail time. Likely it wouldn't come to that, but they would be well within their rights as the copyright holder to sue you for both compensatory and punitive damages.

I'm not in any way telling you NOT to make your film.. But I am warning you of the very real possible outcome of using copyrighted material or infringing on it without permission. But, like Rik said, do whatever you feel is best.

You cannot sell your movie with Jurassic Park in the title. It's trademarked as well as copyrighted. That's why Jurassic People is safe and yours isn't.

Second, while you do have a right to sell and profit from parody, your film isn't parody. It's a fan film and you are clearly trying to capitalize on someone else's intellectual property. There's a distinction there that you are not on the right side of, unfortunately.

So you might be in the clear to change the title and any references to the name Jurassic Park in your movie. Then you have a dinosaur movie and that's perfectly okay. You can also keep the word "Jurassic" in the title and call your film "Jurassic Nightmare" or something like that. That would also be okay.

YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL, KID.

I think you guys are taking his Jurassic Park video a little too serious...

Have fun making a fan-movie based off Jurassic Park. Try to mimic shots in the movie that worked (aka the ones you liked). Understand why they were good. Was it the actors? The shot? The set? The lighting? It was probably all of it.

That'd be my suggestion! Most of all have fun!

I think you guys are taking his Jurassic Park video a little too serious...
This is exactly what we're talking about... it IS serious. Treating it like it isn't is foolish.

Look at it this way. If you had a very successful series of films that you created, went to the trouble to protect with a copyright and trademark on the title and logo, and then someone came along and under the guise of being a spinoff "fan film" produces something that blatantly rips off not only the universe of your film(s), but essentially the name and your trademarked logo. Then they proceed to sell copies on dvd, thereby making a profit on something that by legal (and moral) right you are the owner of -- that wouldn't bother you in the slightest?

Perhaps not. But it most certainly is possible that Universal won't feel the same as you. Still more importantly, Michael Crichton may have issue with it, as the original story was his creation and therefore his intellectual property.

Now sure, maybe nobody will care but to treat the issue like it's not a serious thing is foolish, and quite frankly a little appalling. I know if someone took something I created and made it their own without at least ASKING me I wouldn't be too pleased.

I'll admit I'm not fully versed with this whole fan film thing, but as far as I know the vast majority of them are short films -- this film is not a short, it's a feature... that really bends the idea of a fan film pretty far in my opinion.

The best solution really is to loose the trademarked logo and name, truly make the film your own, new name, etc... then credit and promote it as being inspired by the Jurassic Park series. That makes it clear that it is indeed a fan film, but even if it's still infringing on copyrights at least there is a fair amount of gray area.

Gray area is what lets people get away with ripping things off I guess.. just look at Vanilla Ice...
(couldn't find the video. :( )
"Their's goes: 'dum dum dum de de dum dum..' Mine goes: 'dum dum dum de de dum dum-ch' See, we put that extra hi-hat in there.. it's different"
Ok, maybe not the best example, but man that interview is funny, makes him look like such a moron.. heh (Now I feel old)

My second short was a blatant rip off of the reebok "office enforcer" commercials. copy them, learn...don't expect to make money off of them, I also haven't played it publicly at all either. So no expectation of market exposure from it, free or otherwise. I think it's one of the best pieces I've made yet though.

No major company is going to take a young filmmaker with a fan
film to court.

I am quite familiar with copyright law - it has never happened and
it likely never will. My advice to jack was to give him other
options so he might actually be able to make some movie from his
effort.

Copyright infringement is still wrong, but he's not facing jail or
fines.

My advice isn't necessarily just applicable to this project.. but future ones as well. Best not to get into the habit of ripping off protected material in the first place. ;)

Back