Here Is The Most Versatile FireWire Add-on Card

11693801_10206904684518214_3007458175267953503_n.jpg

If you are like me with old HD camcorders like the Canon HV30 as well as a new DSLR like the Canon 60D and want to use both cameras in a project, keep in mind the DSLR needs a SD Card reader in a free USB 3 port. But, your old Canon HV30 needs a free FireWire 400 port. These days, when you look around for a new external FireWire Hard Drive, you will most likely find a dual port FireWire 400/800 dard drive as the gradual phasing out of FireWire 400 has begun. Thus, an add-on card like above is the best solution. It requires a free PCI-E slot (aka PCE) and a free 5-pin power supply plug so self-powered devices can be plugged into the outside of your computer.

I completed this upgrade myself and thought I'd share this photo of this great versatile device. Keep in mind, when the computer is opened up to always have a hand on the frame or a ground point in the computer that is unplugged to prevent an electrostatic discharge from clothing or objects around the computer from zapping your new add-on card before you have even had a chance to try it out.

Please excuse the bad light, I took the shot fast with my phone.

Back