help on microphone for my canon 5d mark 2

hello i recently bought a canon 5d mark 2 and i need a good microphone for it , i record loud hardcore Spanish punk bands , i wanted to know what mic or equipment can i get to get better audio for live gigs in bars and small venues if i am recording from a some what far distance like behind the crowd also for practice sessions where im closer?

Get sound off the board with a recorder, if you can, and sync it up in post. IMHO, there is no mic will give you satisfactory results with the 5d m2 for that type of application.

:lol: Feeling a bit like this, Alcove? --> :bang:

Yup. My first impulse is to give a flip reply; you know, something like:

This is what you need:

ext.jpg

ssl1.jpg

budget $1000 but the cheaper the better , yes thats what i been reading sound recorder is the best way , if its that what is good to use , i read that Zoom H4n is good but i would also like to know is there something cheaper thats ass good too?

budget $1000 but the cheaper the better , yes thats what i been reading sound recorder is the best way , if its that what is good to use , i read that Zoom H4n is good but i would also like to know is there something cheaper thats ass good too?

The Zoom H4n is not really a very good unit; it's popular because it's cheap. If you want to shoot bands in bars and other venues you definitely need a decent audio recorder. You should be taking a feed directly off of the FOH (Front Of House) mixing console into your recorder. You then use the sound from the on-camera mic for sync. The Fostex FR2-LE or the Marantz PMD-661 are decent choices; the Tascam DR-100 is a (barely) passable micro-budget choice.

If this is your only gig I would recommend the Tascam DR-680 (eight channels/$780) or the Edirol/Roland R-44 (four channels/$1,000). You take a feed directly off of the FOH console and also a stereo mic mix, a blend of which makes for very nice small venue sound when mixing in audio post if the levels were properly set. You would want a stereo mic or a matched pair; you could even start out with something cheap like the CAD CM217 cardioid condensers, about $60 for a pair. The Rode NT5s come in matched pairs for about $430; really nice! With the DR-680 you could even get six sub-busses for further mixing in audio post (Drums, bass, guitars, keys, vox, bg vox) in addition to the stereo mic pair.

The FOH mix usually sounds horrible when taken as a stereo feed from the FOH mixboard. But, Alcove is right, it's a far better solution than setting up a mic in the back of the room...

I'd try to set it up to get each individual channel recorded so you can re-mix it later the way you want.

thank you this is very helpful to me i will buy a record, but what if i have no access to the sound board because i dont always have access to them sometimes im just recording as spectator, what would be my best option?

Back