• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help needed with lighting for darkness in a child's cot

I am making a short film for entry into a competition involving a scene inside the cot of a 1 year old baby.

As the child is sleeping, a murderous teddy bear walks over to the baby and attempts to smother her with a pillow, bt the baby wakes up and starts crying and the mother comes into the room.

I have a very cheap lighting kit from ebay. 2 seperate units, each with 5 45W bulbs and each of the 5 bulbs per unit has its own power switch. It also came with 2 light stands and softboxes to help defuse the light and I am also buying 2 dimmer switches for the lights as I suspect they will be too powerful as they are.

With all lighting for darkness tuition videos I have seen, they have used a key light and then either a 2nd light or a reflector as a fill light. Luckily no back light should be needed with this type of shoot.

My question though is how to get good lighting inside the cot? The cot itself has thick bars across the sides and I would like to get the light shining through creating lines of light hitting the teddy bear. I will try to upload a picture of the cot later this evening but it is at a friends house so I can not get it right now.

I am not sure if I have explained myself correctly but any help would be greatly appreciated and if you require more information, please just ask.

I can not get an actual photo of the cot on location as the friend is working today but this is a stock image of the cot. It is the corner of the room if that helps?

Touchy ;)

Do you have access to the cot? Have you shot this already? If you can get in do a practice run with it. Do 3 or 4 set ups, put it together in a video and post it back here.

That is what I would do.

If I have a new technique I want to try I do it a bunch of times at home. Then if I feel I need help I ask a forum on that particular technique.

I think you might get more advice.

Paul

Back