Help ! Need DSLR advice

Sorry for posting another thread like this. I have gone through many and noticed very helpful answers.
A quick explanation of myself. I have been shooting weddings (video) for 4 years. Started with a z7U and now use a FS100. Although those cameras are shared with the company i work for. So technically i do not own them. Its time for me to branch off and start my own side business. I have chosen to go down the DSLR route due to the versatile and light weight capabilities (love to travel and shoot). So heres the deal.
I have been looking at Canon 70D, a friend of mine owns a 7D and i am very impressed with it and i understand 70D is the newer model. I had my heart set on that. But then i saw the 5DMarkii, and well, im sure all of you know how i feel when i see video from that. So why am i looking at DSLR? Because i do enjoy photography, as a hobby, but filming as a profession. So heres the deal...

70D?
D7100?
GH3?
or wait and invest in a MARKii?

My budget?
Lets say 3000$
In reality i would like to keep it a little smaller than that.
So in the end, i have software and lighting eq, also sound. i just need THE BEST VIDEO PICTURE in my budget. I want CINE Style image. 24p great DOF (i understand that depends on lenses as well.)
Now i do know about some of the features each one has, for example 70D and its special AF (auto focus) thats great and all. But i dont technically NEED it. so with all features pushed aside for just a second, WHAT do YOU feel is the best choice?
Also , Buy body USED? or NEW? Buy glass NEW or USED? -Opinion?

Please dont mention t3i, shot a wedding with it and wasnt impressed with it.

So guys, what do you feel is best for video? thank you so much for your time.

Hello new dude! :cool:

What lens did you shoot that wedding with? Keep in mind, IT'S THE GLASS THAT MATTERS. Glass is more important then the actual camera. I'd much rather have an expensive lens and cheap body than an expensive body and cheap glass. I personally like the T3i, and I think you can get phenomenal images out of it - if well used and paired with an awesome lens.

Also, cinestyle is only for Canon DSLRs. Although other hacks and addition software can give you a similar look with other camera brands.

Best of luck!

Hello new dude! :cool:

What lens did you shoot that wedding with? Keep in mind, IT'S THE GLASS THAT MATTERS. Glass is more important then the actual camera. I'd much rather have an expensive lens and cheap body than an expensive body and cheap glass. I personally like the T3i, and I think you can get phenomenal images out of it - if well used and paired with an awesome lens.

Also, cinestyle is only for Canon DSLRs. Although other hacks and addition software can give you a similar look with other camera brands.

Best of luck!

We have many different lenses. But i (in a way) want to start from scratch and buy my own personal glass. I agree, the glass is what counts. i do not OWN a t3i , rented it for a wedding. Thanks for your reply. But out of the bodys i listed do you have a suggestion?

I'd go with the 70d. The GH3 is good, but more expensive. The D7100 is good, but Canon tends to be more aimed at videographers, whereas Nikon is more aimed at photographers. You will get good images with all three cameras, but I'd go Canon and grab a nice zoom.

I'd go with the 70d. The GH3 is good, but more expensive. The D7100 is good, but Canon tends to be more aimed at videographers, whereas Nikon is more aimed at photographers. You will get good images with all three cameras, but I'd go Canon and grab a nice zoom.

Nice! , the Gh3 seems to only be 100$ more from what i remember. Opinion on buying bodies new or used ? how about glass? new or used .

Nice! , the Gh3 seems to only be 100$ more from what i remember. Opinion on buying bodies new or used ? how about glass? new or used .

If you looked at B&H, they are having a sale ($200 off) until the 26th.

I'd go used.

Glass? If you're going Canon, I'd grab a used 24-105mm and an adapter + Nikon 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. If you have leftover money, you could invest that into a wide angle lens.

Also, do you have audio and lighting covered?

If you looked at B&H, they are having a sale ($200 off) until the 26th.

I'd go used.

Glass? If you're going Canon, I'd grab a used 24-105mm and an adapter + Nikon 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. If you have leftover money, you could invest that into a wide angle lens.

Also, do you have audio and lighting covered?

are you saying a used body ? or used glass? or both? yeah audio and lighting will be covered through company

Hi Cody - I always worry about the number of shutter actuations with listings like this.

And, you may not have seen the sale price, but the GH3 ($998 as of this post) is actually less expensive than the 70D ($1199 as of this post).

You may want to take another look at the GH3. Like the FS100 you've been shooting with, it has a headphone jack, essentially unlimited continuous clip length and a viewfinder than keeps working in video mode.

And it doesn't have a mirror, so shutter count is less relevant :)

The 7D/70D/5D Mark II have no headphone jack, shut off and have to be restarted after 12 or 30 minutes of continuous video and they lose their viewfinders in live view (video) mode.

I had a Canon, but sold it for a GH camera because it was too hard to work around all of these challenges.

Here are a couple of examples of weddings shot with the GH3:

http://vimeo.com/52632262

http://vimeo.com/75384905

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The viewfinder only matters if you are going to have the camera pressed up to your face. The Canons have live view through the display screen in video. If you want to shove the camera up to your eye, there are clip on adapters that let you use the larger screen as a viewfinder. I am not knocking the GH series of cameras at all. I am just giving options. I would choose a GH2 or 3 over a 5D mk ii if I wasn't already heavily invested in Canon glass. I have the 5D mk iii and love it. For $3000 you would have to buy it used. I am very partial to full frame sensors and, for me, that was a huge deal. At the time I switched to Canon, Nikon did not have a FF camera that shot video. What you need to do is to figure out which features are the most important to you. List them in descending order of importance and choose the camera system that fits your needs the best. Remember, you buy camera bodies, but you invest in glass. Just starting out, the GH3 is hard to beat.

Back