Help! Mic for T2i, the simpler the better!

Hey everybody! I have an issue, I'm trying to buy my first microphone for short films.
I'm looking for high quality audio obviously.
I looked into a lot of threads but none of them really helped me.
Honestly I'm not an expert in audio gear.
I own a Canon T2i and I'm looking for a mic that I can plug in directly to my camera and just put it on the top without any extra adapters, extra gear nor syncing in post (I don't really have many crew members :( ).
I really can't afford a sound man, boom pole operator or anything like that, so the simpler it is the better.
I was considering the rode videomic pro because of the simplistic , but I heard some complains about the sound quality so I'm feeling unsure about it.
My budget goes around $300
Can you please give me a hand here guys? :)

The sound quality complaints that you are hearing about have nothing to do with the quality of the microphone, they are problems with how the mic is used. QUALITY sound means doing all of the things you explicitly stated that you do not want to do - you do not want to boom, you do not want to record externally, you do not want to sync.

When you mount the mic on the camera you are not using the mic to optimum effect. You want the mic as close as possible to the talent and pointing at the mouth (well, the notch at the base of the throat/top of the breast-bone). Unless every shot is full-faced and the camera is within 18 inches of the actor you will not achieve anything close to the "high quality" you are looking for. Add in the fact that DSLRs have seriously substandard audio implementation.

So go ahead and get the Rode VMP. It is a very nice mic for the price. Just don't expect it to solve the problem.

Back