Help... Mac vs DSLR..huh?

Help! Please. Looking for comments and support about whether I should buy a Mac Mini that comes with iLife or get a T4i. Odd question? Well I have several Windows 7 computers (a pc and a laptop which are 1-2 years old 6GB ram, intel pentium/amd) and I have a Canon SX50HS... So with my budget at the 600ish mark, which would be better? To edit on a mac with an inferior camera (no manual control in video) or to edit great footage with an inferior computer(moviemaker live, no audio editing, slow video cards, slow processors)????? Dilemma!!!
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

It's a lose/lose sort of proposition.

Why not exercise some patience; save up to get what you want, and make do for the time being with what you have?

Have you really pushed the boundaries of the equipment that you own? Or are you just lusting for something you perceive will make your product better? Story and solid acting will trump pretty pictures every time. As long as the audience can effortlessly understand the dialog all of the other technical aspects are irrelevant.

"The most difficult exercise of all is the exercise of patience."

In my opinion, it's a win/lose decision. You've already got computers that will edit the footage just fine. I think it'd be a poor decision to buy another computer, especially since $600 won't get you Jack Squat in the expensive Mac world. If you can get a nice camera, that's a win!

You don't need to edit with Movie Maker (and you shouldn't). Vegas and Premiere both have budget editing options at less than $100.

I don't want to get into another PC/Mac debate, especially since they're both fine options. But there is one thing that I think we can all agree on -- the best option for broke folk is PC, and that's you. Keep the computers you've got, and get the camera.

By the way -- did you look at the specs on the Mac Mini? That's the inferior computer. Your PC is much better.

Aaah yes. Patience and rethink the process. I am in a bind when it comes to spending money set aside for my hobbies. If I don't make a purchase with the budgeted funds.... well that money just has a tendency to disappear. Just this weekend the Sewer Man had his hand in my wallet, those pretty little dolls of mine need new shoes, and my little men are due for winter time, downhill tools in new sizes. So, yeah patience is tough for me when it comes to spending the money I have saved up. I can add more to it little by little but the big chunks are hard to come by.
I am going to make do for now though. I will get an Elements editing package and some other small gadgets to try a couple ideas I have. I don't need the best there is (obviously, based on what I own), but I do want the best I can afford. I really liked something I saw today on Vimeo, "88:88". I'd like to get lighting and audio on that scale, so will start practicing.
Thanks for the input folks. It really helps to slow down my impulsive behavior. 8^)

As a family man I know where you are at. It's a little easier - and harder - as audio post is my business.

If small chunks is all you can do then pick what currently needs the most improvement and spend it there.

A few pieces of advice:

My personal approach is to always look for upwards compatibility and longevity.

From an audio perspective quality mics and quality speakers are a good investment. "Infrastructure" is always a solid investment as well. When I was a touring musician "infrastructure" meant keyboard stands, equipment racks and cases. Literal infrastructure applies to a studio; sound proofing and sound treatment. For an indie filmmaker "infrastructure" would mean a quality tripod, C-stands, basic lighting, etc. Those types of items can last you for decades.

Technology will always be in flux and prone to fads. Don't jump on the latest technology (it may be buggy) and don't fall for the fads (it may have expensive pot-holes).

Do you want to be a hobbyist or a professional? That decision will make a large number of your purchase choices.

Camera... I'm editing HD footage with a 2006 computer... looking to buy a Canon t3i now (body only + nikon adaptor ring so I can use my nikkor lenses). Cheap!

I found this:
http://www.primotronix.com/tron/pro...20810&osCsid=8321e36645a838dea90fac2ca132d631

The computer problem is that we have 2 laptops in the house, both used by the whole family (4yr old, 8 yr old, 12 yr old, and 16 yr old) so my worries at home are the security of my footage, and being able to get my grubby paws on one of the things. At work I have a netbook out in the workshop, and a nice pc in the office... but they're at work so not easy to use when I have spare time in the evenings or weekends... I have an older Dell pc that I may try to resurect into an editing machine. So far great help everyone, thanks.

Although not pro level lighting or audio equipment, I do have both. Cowbow studios and AudioTechnika/Tascam. I will try to figure out how to use those to thier full potential, then upgrade... for sure the kids will have jobs of thier own by then. Maybe. Haha.

I am currently working on a makeshift studio for recording audio, miniature shots, bluescreen, and etc. Sound treatment is the current concern (thanks again Alcove). Cieling tiles and carpeting to be specific.

Why do you need to spend money? Find somebody with a camera and use it to make your movie. Or buy a cheap 100 camcorder and use re rest of money to feed your crew.
Making a connection with local filmmaking scene is waaaaaay more valuable than a stupid computer or a camera.

Last edited:
Back