• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

HELP! I messed up during whitebalancing. Can I save my footage?

So I was working on a mini doc that touches on a charity event. It was a bright and sunny day so I opted to go the Kelvin route to whitebalance instead of custom (I know, I know - I was rushed, OK, I can give you the backstory later). It was a very bright cloudless day so I just dialed in the whitebalance and it was cool...well, until we had to move to another location under the shade of a tree. Anyway shooting in the shade has now placed a blue cast on my footage. Can I save this project or am I pretty much screwed.

I will not dial in my whitebalance again. I will not dial in my whitebalance again. I will not dial in my whitebalance again. I will not dial in my whitebalance again. I will not dial in my whitebalance again...well until I get better at doing it. LOL.

HEEEEELP!

Sam

Do you have an example of the footage? If it just has a blue tint then I imagine that would be pretty easy to fix. I had the same issue when I filmed a shot for a commercial. Everything was blue.

Yep, you can save it in many ways.

What editing program are you using?

Sweet. I have Sony Vegas Pro 12. I can also do color work in HitFilm Ultimate 2 and a free version of DaVinci Resolve 8 (but I am the least proficient in DaVinci). Thanks.

Do you have an example of the footage? If it just has a blue tint then I imagine that would be pretty easy to fix. I had the same issue when I filmed a shot for a commercial. Everything was blue.

I am at work right now but will post something later on today, and yes it has a blue tint (which I think was caused by the 5600 K whitebalance used in the shade of a tree). Thanks.

If you have colour correction software, you should be fine. In Premiere it can be as simple as selecting a CC filter with Whitebalance and using the Eyedropper tool. I'm not familiar with Davinci, but since it's CC software (and you know how to use it?) you ought to have no problems.

If you have colour correction software, you should be fine. In Premiere it can be as simple as selecting a CC filter with Whitebalance and using the Eyedropper tool. I'm not familiar with Davinci, but since it's CC software (and you know how to use it?) you ought to have no problems.

Thanks, Steve, I tried it with the whitebalance filter in Vegas Pro and it appears that it counters the blue color cast with a warmer tint (that can be adjusted with a slider). It seems its a tint for a tint. I suppose if this is the solution the it is what it is but is there another way?

Thanks for the tip, Zensteve.

Oh btw are Vegas users a rare breed? Any other Vegas users in here?

Back