Help! Deciding which mic to get.

I'm looking into getting either the

Rode Stereo Condenser Microphone

or the

Rode Shotgun VideoMic

I plan to use it as an all around mic (on a boompole, mounted on the camera, general recording, etc)
Is the stereo mic effective on a boompole? How well do shotgun mics work up close when mounted on the camera? or just general..studio recording?

I'm on a budget and I found the stereo mic for cheaper that its an option.

I'm looking into getting either the Rode Stereo Condenser Microphone or the Rode Shotgun VideoMic

Just remember that you get what you pay for. They are both probably better than the built in mic on 99% of the cameras out there, but not by much; they are strictly low budget consumer fare.

I plan to use it as an all around mic (on a boompole, mounted on the camera, general recording, etc) Is the stereo mic effective on a boompole? How well do shotgun mics work up close when mounted on the camera? or just general..studio recording?

They both have an integral shoemount, so can be put on a boom-pole only with difficulty.

All mics work best when pointed directly at the sound source, so mounted on the camera will reduce sound capture by quite a bit when shooting from the side. A shotgun will make this worse instead of better,

Stereo mics present a lot of problems when working with dialog in audio post, phase problems being the most prominent.

They are both high impedance mics, so will be prone to RF problems in many environments.

Back