Help choosing camera

Hello all,

I'm brand new to film making and want to give it a shot (excuse the pun).
I've looked at a couple of affordable cameras that I want just as a first camera to see whats what, I can't decide between the two.

Sony CX115 or Canon Legria HF M307

or if you think I'm way off and have any suggestions please let me know!

I'm going to be shooting short films/ music videos to get me started.

Thanks all

I've been looking myself....for music videos and just normal video/film. I see a lot of people using DSLR's for music videos (like canon 5d) over an actual camcorder (say like the sony HXR-NX70U). i have no idea why as the sony can do way more stuff than the canon 5d can....

maybe the accessories are cheaper on dslrs, lenses and whatnot. i know the audio input on dslrs (not important for music) is crap compared to camcorders.

i think i'll personally go with the sony, or something like it (i like the dust and weather proof as i'm in socal and it's very, very dusty) and it's about the same cost as the canon 5d, with being able to do a lot more than the canon 5d. as far as i can tell it should be just fine for music videos as well (which will some of the first stuff i do for myself).

however if someone else has input please do post here as well. i think we'd both appreciate multiple pov's.

thx

I use a DSLR mainly because i started out doing photography and moved onto films. Yes, it is easier to find accessories for it like lenses and mics. Most camcorders feature mini hot shoes and most mics are designed for standard hot shoes which dslrs have. If you have a Camcorder and end up wanting a different lens, your screwed. There are TONS of lenses for dslrs if you aren't familiar. Fish eye, tilt-shift, tons of stuff you or i have never heard of. The only plus to camcorders is that most have autofocus during filming and alot of dslrs dont. Like mine. But it doesn't bother me really. My friend has a 2000 dollar sony and honestly his is good onyl because it has good color from the start and has autofocus. Color correction in my opinion should be applied AFTER the video and not during anyway.

Back