Headphone Recommendation?

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a nice pair of over-ear headphones for listening to music and editing. I will not use this for sound monitoring, but for editing sound, syncing, and just listening to videos.)

My budget is anything under $300. I was looking into the Beats Studio headphones but they're kinda overpriced and I heard they're too bass heavy. They look nice though ;)

So please throw out some recommendations:
Factors include: comfort, price, sound clarity, and style (i don't want some ugly p.o.s)

Thanks!

I like the AKG K240M headphones. They are relatively flat, comfortable enough and don't induce ear fatigue at low/moderate volume. Only about $100.

Headphones are very personal; what works for me may be crap for you. If you live near a decent music store go early in the day (when it's as quiet as it can be), bring a CD or iPod of material that you are very familiar with, and start listening. Do not use any EQ (adding or reducing bass or treble, etc.) and leave the volume alone once you've tried the first pair. Keep notes - I'm serious!!! And take your time; you'll be spending hundreds of hours wearing them, surely two or three making the right decision isn't a sacrifice. Go back to the first three pairs when you've been through them all; your ears will be more tired so you need to check them again when your ears are fatigued.

Keep in mind that you want something that will show flaws and reflect "reality", not something that makes crap sound good; the idea is that the mix should sound good in the neutral headphones and sound great in the "colored" or hyped cans. Besides, "colored" or hyped headphones will induce ear fatigue faster even if they do sound "nicer".

Oh, if you find something you like be nice enough to buy them there if they treated you okay; it's only polite.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The AKG seems cool, but I'm not sold on them yet. Great idea about going to a store and trying different ones out, I'll definitely be doing that. However those stores, like Best Buy or Fry's won't have huge amounts of variety and something that would be perfect for me might go missed because the store doesn't carry them.

In the meantime, anyone else care to throw out more suggestions just to get more ideas going?

Thanks

I've used a pair of AKG K77s for about two years now. About $50, real comfortable on my head, good sound. The ear cushions show no sign of disintegrating, which is the bane of my existence.

@alcove: Oh, well I guess I didn't think of a music dedicated store when you replied. Yeah, those probably would have every type of headphones I could imagine, thanks.

@camvader and uranium: thanks, will check them out.

AKG 702 are the best. They are twice as good as the 240s. They are listed under the pro audio on the AKG site and cost around $260

Incredibly detailed sound, sturdy, long replaceable cord.

Back