HD editing...?

Hey, guys!

I was wondering what the difference is between editing and editing HD. Alot of freelance jobs are asking for HD editors. What is it that is different about the two types of editing?

-- spinner :cool:

resolution? :lol:

If it's freelance then I'd imagine you would be doing the editing on your own machine -- in which case, for HD (or even just HDV) vs DV, you'll need a more powerful machine to edit on. So they probably clarify that it's an HD project so they don't get someone with a little mac mini or something saying they want to edit, and then waste a bunch of time as this person learns they can't edit HD on that tiny computer.

The difference is editing footage that is High Definition (1280x720 or 1920x1080) versus editing in Standard definition (aka SD - 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL).

If they want full HD editing, you need to know if your machine and settings can handle full HD, then there is the MPEG2 compressed HDV formats, plus DVCPRO HD with mild compression, etc.

Based on the question, you probably won't get the HD editing job if you don't know the difference, but hopefully with a little research and testing, you'll get some to be more knowledgeable.

Click on the image below for a demonstration on the differences between SD and HD

The mac mini handles HDV well...assuming you have a large harddrive and the RAM maxed out.
Sorry.. was using it as an example.. I'm not well-versed enough on the mac to know. BUT, I assume it would struggle a lot with full HD rather than HDV. I suppose I should have used something else as an example. ;)

no worries, example-counter example is how discussions are handled ;) If it degenerates to example-name calling, then it's not a discussion any more :)

True.. then it's like a couple threads I was watching in a different forum today.. they resulted in the hardcore (and hardheaded) mac advocate being banned for the "my way is the only way" rhetoric and resorting to childish name-calling... it was entertaining while it lasted, but ultimately less than helpful. :D

Based on the question, you probably won't get the HD editing job if you don't know the difference, but hopefully with a little research and testing, you'll get some to be more knowledgeable.

I haven't applied for any HD positions. It didn't make sense to me to apply for something that I didn't quite understand, which was why I was asking here.

Usually, the answer you get is: Oh, it makes the picture look much better, you would rather go HD. Most of the people who say this can't be anymore specific than that. I have been so involved with the stuff I am working on, right now I haven't been able to stress myself out about what I don't have. But I did want to get maybe a thumbnail idea of what it was. People also sometimes talk about compression without really knowing the results of it. So, what I wanted to do was come here and get a brief answer. I am going to dig out my books and do some reading over the next few days as well.

Plus, it appears that what you edit will take up more room on your hard drive and probably take more time to render. And I also assume (?) that the extended lines of resolution and the compression is what makes the picture look more film like....

I also assume the the edit process is still the same...more or less...

Last edited:
I also assume (?) that the extended lines of resolution and the compression is what makes the picture look more film like....

I also assume the the edit process is still the same...more or less...

The more compression, the less good the image looks. Lower compression = bigger file sizes. What makes any video look more like film relies far more on lighting, contrast, and composition. The higher resolution & additional pixels have little to no effect on the image being filmic. The element that DOES contribute is PROGRESSIVE frames versus INTERLACED. INTERLACED video is when they use 2 honeycombed interpolated fields on screen at the same time instead of PROGRESSIVE, whole frames. INTERLACED is like hitting pause on your VCR and seeing how the image gets all garbled and on most DVD's of a movie - it holds a perfect frame.

The edit process is identical except selecting an HD project instead of SD - you are correct sir.

An HD editor usually must not only be able to edit HD but also acquire and output to HD as well. Most modern computers will handle HD fairly decently, but acquisition and output requires specialized hardward that typically must be rented.

I guess the exception is HDV. HDV works pretty much the same as DV but with higher resolution. In fact, HDV requires no more space on your hard drive than DV (which you gives you some idea of how much its compressed).

Back