• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

having actor get AXed in the head.

I'm looking for the most practical way of doing this, unless someone can give me a good realistic CGI way of doing so, i do have After effects cs5.5. The shot sequence i'm looking for is a front shot of girl crawling down a road badly hurt. and then it will cut to a view of the killers back following him as he is running towards the girl as she's crawling, he then swings up his axe in this shot. Then it cuts to his axe in the air(kinda homage to the 80's type horror shot) then i want it to go back to the front view of her crawling as the axe come down sticking right into the top of her head, i want the cut to go about halfway down her forehead with blood squirting out. Any help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6BOT52RoI

At about 3:44. The way to do it is at 4:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtxO5bDE-AA

At around 1:35. That might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrgCMVxqvyE
Also at 2:26

yeah I've seen those, love film riot. The thing is its gonna be a close up on her face and i want to see the axe go in to the top of her head and not cut away so quick. cuz he's gonna pull it back out of her head, which i will use a prosthetic for that part, but for the scene of it hitting her i want it to look like it really is. you see it swing down into frame and stick right into the top of her head. and blood squirts out. not directly on top of her head but more the back of her head, but once again that would involve some way of putting a prosthetic in her hair and idk how that would work out either, but i really wanna get this to work.

Last edited:
your options are limited. what dejager and that1guy gave you are about it. ultra low budget is a major constraint on a shot as captivating as you are describing.

I'm just going to have to end up having a nice sound effect and showing the axe swing from a back shot, and then cut to the front shot with the axe already in her head using prosthetics. It'll make it easier while still giving the gruesomeness.

EDIT: I'll be shooting this short next weekend, If anyone is interested in collaboration on the script since its only in its first draft that'd be nice! It's always good to have someone else's ideas influence your work! Post on here if interested!

Last edited:
a simple trick they have used in the 80's horror movies is film the sequence backwards....it can be a really quick cut of the impact. it does depend on your editing skill and shot skill..its effective, cheap, and safer.
pull the hatchet out of the head (quick shot with maby an obstruction in the forground.) this cut could maby last about 1/2 a second. just edit it backwards.....good luck

thats a very good idea..only thing is if i did the cut backwards how would i show the slice in the head with the blood and what not start and then disappear? as i plan to do it practically

Showing it all can be very difficult.
That's the main reason things like this are often suggested.
Use sillouettes/shadows, flying blood, sound design and clever angles if showing it gets too fake or expensive.

I never did something like this, btw.
But the first thing I would do is finding a way to suggest it in such a powerfull way it's almost like you really show it.
The impact is offcourse the hard part: any dummies you want to use: you need a couple of them.

Cheap styofoam head, paint it and add a wig to make it "resemble" your actress. Hollow out the inside and put in a baggie of fake blood. You'll want to show it very briefly to conceal the fake head. You could always cut in to a close up of the actress with a prop axe cut to fit her head, and run a hose you could pump blood through. Best I can come up with spur of the moment. Hopefully it is some help.

Back