• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Have finished a full length screenplay

Hey everyone, new member here. I have just finished a screenplay for a full length feature film, my first. I would love to hear input from you as for where I should go from here.

Currently, I am drafting up letters and grant applications in the hopes of receiving funding for the project. The film is designed as a social impact film, so I have a good idea of which types of organizations to target with my requests.

As I'm sure all filmmakers are, I believe very much in this project. I am just getting my feet wet with learning about filmmaking, doing research, etc. I have some tv production experience with ESPN back in the early part of this decade, but that feels like a long time ago and still doesn't equal filming experience.

I've finished the screenplay and have a total vision of the project and want to direct it and bring it to life. I am just looking for some friends on here who can help me learn a little more about the process. Please no jokes about me being a newb, I'm quite aware of that. :)

Anyways, would love to hear back from any of you!

We all have to start somewhere. I started when I was in my early teens and now I'm pushing 40, so it's never too late to learn something new. I try to do so every day of my life.

And you've definitely come to the right place. I lurked for a couple of years before joining, and I am sure glad I did. There are some very knowledgable and talented individuals on this forum.

Congratulations on your first script! I remember when I finished my first and got it registered. It was the greatest feeling.

Last edited:
We all have to start somewhere. I started when I was in my early teens and now I'm pushing 40, so it's never too late to learn something new. I try to do so every day of my life.

And you've definitely come to the right place. I lurked for a couple of years before joining, and I am sure glad I did. There are some very knowledgable and talented individuals on this forum.

Congratulations on your first script! I remember when I finished my first and got it registered, it was the greatest feeling.

Thanks for the reply VP. I'm 25 right now, and currently a senior in college majoring in chemistry. Before I started college at 20 I was in the tv and radio side of the business, working as a sports broadcaster in Indianapolis and eventually as an intern at ESPN where I worked on the Great Outdoor games.

It's funny that I never got into film as a teenager, I guess sports and being on air was more my thing (I guess I would have been the film equivalent of an actor). I didn't particularly like the production side of the business, and while I was considered very talented on-air, I realized that doing the dirty work for awhile would be the only route to such a job, and abandoned it for college.

Now here I am, over the past year I have worked on some small production projects on my computer here at home and consider myself lucky to have had the inspiration for this screenplay and a newfound love for creating instead of reporting the action. :)

Thanks for the congratulations too! I do have one specific question....what did you do when you finished your first script? You said you registered it? I haven't really let anyone get their hands on more than a few parts of it to this point as I've been weary of someone stealing my idea...appreciate the help!

Oh, man, if you haven't registered it yet, do it now. You should always do this before sending it to anyone. Technically, you own the copyright the moment you write it, but if it isn't registered you will have a difficult time proving a case should it ever go to court. I even registered my seven page short script with the WGAW. I wrote my first feature 20 years ago and actually walked it in the front door of the WGAW to register it, but with today's online registration it takes 5 minutes.

http://www.wga.org/subpage_register.aspx?id=1183

http://www.copyright.gov/register/index.html

Oh, man, if you haven't registered it yet, do it now. You should always do this before sending it to anyone. Technically, you own the copyright the moment you write it, but if it isn't registered you will have a difficult time proving a case should it ever go to court. I even registered my seven page short script with the WGAW. I wrote my first feature 20 years ago and actually walked it in the front door of the WGAW to register it, but with today's online registration it takes 5 minutes.

http://www.wga.org/subpage_register.aspx?id=1183

http://www.copyright.gov/register/index.html

Thank you! I will get on that right away. Very important to do ha.

I'm not the authority here. That would be filmy (a.k.a. FilmJumper). He's the resident screenwriting guru. There's a section in one of the Premiere areas for screenwriting tips, and he has some excellent recommendations there. You have one more day to take advantage of the half-off memberships. That section alone is worth it.

I use Final Draft so I don't have to think about formatting. It does it for me.

I looked at your link, and that's spec format, so it will work for what you're doing. This is the same format Final Draft outputs by default unless I'm making a shooting script, which I am in the process of doing for my short film. Follow the suggestions in that link and you'll do fine.

Last edited:
I would really like to film the movie as opposed to doing it in video (but of course, doesn't mean that'll happen, guess we'll just have to wait and see).

But I just had what I think is a good idea. If I have the finished script, and film say, the opening scene in video and do it cheap, could I use that as a pitch to investors?

I would want to re-shoot whatever I'd done again, but would that maybe give them some insight on top of the screenplay?

Edit: FWIW, the opening scene is very important to the film, but none of the actors are used again (story advances 15 years after that point). The vision I have of how I want to shoot the scene, I feel, gives a good indication of the artistic touch I would bring to the film. That's why I think that approach would be practical.

Just wonder if anyone thinks thats a good idea.

Last edited:
That is worth trying. If i remember correctly, that's what the guy's who made SAW did. Shoot the opening, then use that to pitch their film to investors.

Now look how successful they've become! Although that's not to say it's that easy... if it was, we'd all be doing it.

That is worth trying. If i remember correctly, that's what the guy's who made SAW did. Shoot the opening, then use that to pitch their film to investors.

Now look how successful they've become! Although that's not to say it's that easy... if it was, we'd all be doing it.

Thank you Sulaco, I appreciate your input.

Check out the film "Catch and Release" with Jennifer Garner. The special features. I just watched it last night. The writer also directed the film. It was the writer's first time directing, she is a woman in her 30s, she got funded. So some similarity to your case. Inspirational to see a first time writer/director do a feature with a big name star. As I watched the film, it was interesting to see how it really had an indie feel, mostly shot like stage play in that it had a small cast, very limited easy access locations, mostly a home, and a river, and a beach, etc.

Hey everyone, new member here. I have just finished a screenplay for a full length
feature film, my first. I would love to hear input from you as for where I should go from here....

I've finished the screenplay and have a total vision of the project and want to direct it and bring it to life. I am just looking for some friends on here who can help me learn a little more about the process. Please no jokes about me being a newb, I'm quite aware of that. :)

Anyways, would love to hear back from any of you!

Check out the film "Catch and Release" with Jennifer Garner. The special features. I just watched it last night. The writer also directed the film. It was the writer's first time directing, she is a woman in her 30s, she got funded. So some similarity to your case. Inspirational to see a first time writer/director do a feature with a big name star. As I watched the film, it was interesting to see how it really had an indie feel, mostly shot like stage play in that it had a small cast, very limited easy access locations, mostly a home, and a river, and a beach, etc.

Thanks Joe, that is a good success story. Star power would be nice for marketing purposes, but I'd be happy with any up and comers that I feel are good actors and are a good fit for their part.

One can always hope though, right? :D

formatting

Hi there VP,
In my opinion, I think that the formatting guidelines on the Nicholl site are outdated, last revised in 1988 or 1989.

As for the advice already given here, I second or third the vast bulk of it. If you are going to send your material out, get it registered -- $22.00 at the WGA, $17.00 if you are still in school.

The advice that I always got was "find companies or filmmakers/actors" who seem to make films like yours and try to attract them.

Of course, this site being IndieTalk, I am always looking to do stuff that I can produce independently and I don't tend to send my stuff out as much. I send things out if I do not think that I am ever going to be able to get it made by myself.

Also, as a screenwriter, I often get hired by people who know very little about the business, hire me to write the screenplay and then don't know what to do with it once I turn it in so I try to sell it for them.

Hey everyone, new member here. I have just finished a screenplay for a full length feature film, my first....!

I forgot to mention-- congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment. I am working through my first screenplay now also, revising/rewriting. You have accomplished a major feat in life. Go buy the extra large latte, treat yourself to some nice rewards!:D

Hi there VP,
In my opinion, I think that the formatting guidelines on the Nicholl site are outdated, last revised in 1988 or 1989.

As for the advice already given here, I second or third the vast bulk of it. If you are going to send your material out, get it registered -- $22.00 at the WGA, $17.00 if you are still in school.

The advice that I always got was "find companies or filmmakers/actors" who seem to make films like yours and try to attract them.

Of course, this site being IndieTalk, I am always looking to do stuff that I can produce independently and I don't tend to send my stuff out as much. I send things out if I do not think that I am ever going to be able to get it made by myself.

Also, as a screenwriter, I often get hired by people who know very little about the business, hire me to write the screenplay and then don't know what to do with it once I turn it in so I try to sell it for them.

Thanks Davy. Do you know of a place where I can find more updated formatting? I realize there are software programs that do it for you, but I would prefer to just do it manually.

I forgot to mention-- congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment. I am working through my first screenplay now also, revising/rewriting. You have accomplished a major feat in life. Go buy the extra large latte, treat yourself to some nice rewards!:D

Thanks Joe, I think I will. :D

How far along are you in yours? I have been more of a literary writer in the past, but always had problems where I would go a long period of time without being able to get anything out.

I never tried screenwriting until now, and lo and behold, it was much easier to do for me anyways.

If you decide to go with automated formatting, celtx is free (open source). I recently tried Movie Magic ($$$) but I have switched back to Sophocles PM. Sophocles PM is in beta testing and is worth perhaps $300-500 but the download now is completely free and not crippled in any way, and I have not had any bugs crop up, it works fantastic; full production software for screenplay writing / formatting (intelligent import, etc), character relationships, dialog analysis, shooting and actor scheduling, props, location scheduling, lots more.
http://www.sophocles.net/beta/
Sophocles is my mentor-consultant's software of choice and she has tried Movie Magic, Final Draft, etc.
Ok just a thought.

Thanks Davy. Do you know of a place where I can find more updated formatting? I realize there are software programs that do it for you, but I would prefer to just do it manually.

If you decide to go with automated formatting, celtx is free (open source). I recently tried Movie Magic ($$$) but I have switched back to Sophocles PM. Sophocles PM is in beta testing and is worth perhaps $300-500 but the download now is completely free and not crippled in any way, and I have not had any bugs crop up, it works fantastic; full production software for screenplay writing / formatting (intelligent import, etc), character relationships, dialog analysis, shooting and actor scheduling, props, location scheduling, lots more.
http://www.sophocles.net/beta/
Sophocles is my mentor-consultant's software of choice and she has tried Movie Magic, Final Draft, etc.
Ok just a thought.

Thanks Joe, very helpful.

I have the whole story written out-- my mentor (Margo Prescott) had me write it out first in first tense short story format no dialog, now I have been going through it and adding in the sluglines and dialog. At 100 pages length and am half way through it as far as slugs and dialog, so surely it will need some pruning once I get through it all. It is a supernatural thriller I hope to perhaps produce in 2-3 years. Once I tweak it with my current mentor/consultant, I am going to work with John Rainy to hopefully bring it up another level. Lots of work, but fun to watch characters develop and take on a life of their own.

How far along are you in yours? I have been more of a literary writer in the past, but always had problems where I would go a long period of time without being able to get anything out. I never tried screenwriting until now, and lo and behold, it was much easier to do for me anyways.

Hi there VP,

I agree it's old, but there are worse mistakes one can make. :)

Last edited:
Back