Hateful Eight

Compared to Django Unchained it looks like what I think everyone has suspected: it's a much smaller film than all of his previous. It's almost going back to basics like Resevoir Dogs, even with a few of the same actors, but making it another Western, because Tarantino bases most of his concepts and shot design on Sergio Leone and John Ford.

The look definitely reflects that, and the character types reflect an earlier form of writing style and storytelling sensibilities.

I wouldn't chalk this film up to be boring though. I think perhaps we've gotten a bit too used to seeing trailers blow stuff up and cut to black with mysterious dialogue so much, that a movie about a bunch of wacky people holed up in a building having to duke each other out in a battle of wits has become boring, when it never used to be in the past.

Anyone today could look at a trailer of 12 Angry Men and think it's a boring film, because it takes place in one location, it's shot in black and white, and it's just a bunch of guys yelling at each other for nearly 2 hours. But what counts is how compelling their yelling and conversing with each other is. And I think Tarantino is no idiot, all of his films have been compelling and fascinating and entertaining in one way or another, no matter where he sets it, and no matter how much action he includes.

I personally don't like Pulp Fiction because of Bruce Willis, and the fact that some of the main characters die. I'm usually not up for that kind of outcome. I also didn't like Resevoir Dogs because it was equally bleak, despite the iconic characters and the dialogue. And I also didn't end up liking Inglorious Bastards as much as I thought I might, because the conversations were almost twice as long as they were in any other Tarantino movie, so it basically talked me into boredom. But I think if I give it another shot, I'll at least like that one more.

My favorites are Kill Bill Vol. 1, Django Unchained, Jackie Brown, and I still have to see Death Proof, but I think I might like some aspect of that.

This just looks like a simpler film than we're currently used to, and I don't think it's wise to judge it or write it off too soon, because unlike most trailers, this one is a tad hard to read. I mean, I knew from looking at FANT4STIC that it was going to be incredibly messed up and disappointing, as it has subsequently turned out to be. But this I can't judge in the same gut manner.

Last edited:
Back