• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Has the technology changed in terms of camcorders...

I seem to remember that at one point, I was discouraged from buying a camcorder that recorded directly to a DVD because you couldn't get the footage from that DVD to the computer to edit.

Is this still the case or have things changed?

-- spinner :cool:

The reason I am asking is that I am going to see a couple of bands play tonight. And because the Beastie Boys had that movie where their fans were able to shoot their video on cellphones (I think it was cellphones) now there are some bands who are having their fans shoot their video. I personally don't think it is all that great an idea, but you never know, maybe it will work out for them...

But I wanted to just see if anyone had any thoughts because the technology changes so quickly, I was wondering if there had been any new developments.

-- spinner :cool:

Shooting directly to dvd is anything but a new development. The main reason it's been recommended against isn't because it would be difficult to get the footage in for editing, but because the quality wouldn't be that great.

Back