Hard drive for my video

So I have built up a lot of gigabytes of video over the years and now I only have 25 gigabytes of space left on my computer. So what I'm wondering is how to deal with it. I don't really want to just get rid of it because some of it is special to me (or maybe I'm just a hoarder). There are a couple of things I'm wondering. Is it hard to either replace to extend my internal storage on my desktop? I'm assuming that using an external hard drive would be too slow to edit from. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Depends on your computer... you could most likely add additional internal hard drives, and if you want them to be large, and fast, set them up as a RAID0 array.

I've got four 2TB hard drives in my machine all striped together as a single RAID0 array, so I have what appears as a single 8TB drive to use for editing. The real benefit is that you get a nice speed boost by striping multiple drives together. RAID0 isn't ideal for long-term storage as there's no redundancy, but where it lacks in built-in backup/failsafety it makes up for with speed.. in spades.

My 4 drive array gives me the same performance as a single SSD drive :)

It may be too old to upgrade. PCI motherboards went out a while ago. The new standard is PCE.

Not entirely true or accurate, and mostly irrelevant.

The new standard (more or less) is PCIE, but many/most motherboards still have PCI slots. AGP, on the other hand is pretty well extinct.

But the question is in relation to hard drives, not video cards and other expansion cards, so that's irrelevant.

The real question is whether the motherboard has SATA or PATA ports for the internal drives. If it doesn't have SATA, an add on sata controller card would be worthwhile, and would likely support 4 drives or so. If it's got sata ports already, sweet, add a drive or two.

Next question is whether there is available power in the case, if not you'll need to either upgrade the power supply or get a splitter to add additional drive(s).

Not entirely true or accurate, and mostly irrelevant.

The new standard (more or less) is PCIE, but many/most motherboards still have PCI slots. AGP, on the other hand is pretty well extinct.

But the question is in relation to hard drives, not video cards and other expansion cards, so that's irrelevant.

The real question is whether the motherboard has SATA or PATA ports for the internal drives. If it doesn't have SATA, an add on sata controller card would be worthwhile, and would likely support 4 drives or so. If it's got sata ports already, sweet, add a drive or two.

Next question is whether there is available power in the case, if not you'll need to either upgrade the power supply or get a splitter to add additional drive(s).

Not true.

Visit a computer store. You are 10 years behind the times.

I'm in the computer industry. You are talking out your arse. ;)

There is no 'PCE' you're probably thinking of PCIE

220px-PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

That is still completely irrelevant to whether or not the OP can upgrade his machine with more hard drives.

Also, dunno what store you shop at, but I can still buy PCI peripheral cards, just did a couple months ago. :)

The last computer I built (completely from components) was a month and a half ago, all newly purchased the same day, from a store in town. There is PCI on the motherboard, along with the PCIE. Trust me, I am VERY familiar with computer hardware.

Last edited:
That motherboard is a good 5 years old.

My computer was just built last year. It has NO PCI slots They are all PCE. PCE is sometimes used as an abbreviation for PCIE. The computer also has SATA hard drives and USB 3, USB2, and Firewire. It also has a 1 Gig G-Forces video card with support for 3 monitors, VGA, DVI, and HDMI.

Last edited:
I say 100 Megs a second for USB 3 external hard drives from personally clocking my 3 USB 3 external hard drives transferring video files over 1 Gig each in size. The external hard drives are 2 TB drives each. The internal HD is a 2 TB SATA.

Last edited:
Believe me, I have to work in office environments for very big businesses. You don't want untrained people opening up computers to install internal drives. With no clue to grounding and electro-static discharging practices, they can very easily zap and burnout chips, boards, and other sensitive parts.

They are better off plugging in external drives.

Last edited:
Back