• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

gunshot scene

hey,
i'm trying to make a scene in a movie where a guy gets shot in the head. i have a realistic looking gun, and a good sound effect. is there anything i can do in something like After Effects where i can make it look like he got shot in the head, maybe add some fake blood or something to his head?

thanks.

If you know how to animate in AE then you can do just about anything really. Make skull fragments, brain matter, blood and skalp in photoshop, then import into AE and animate the bits flying to the wall.

Mind you I've never tried this and I have no idea what kind of shot you're looking for but I would green screen a real actor pretending to get hit in the head. Get one of those styrofoam heads wigs sit on, anchor it really well, put on the blood and splatter filled zip lock bag (I've heard people use bits of styrofoam for skull particles and cauliflower for brain matter, the cauliflower is soaked in a dye solution to turn it grey). Add the explosives and let it splatter.

So now you have the before and after, all you need to do is animate the particles' path in AE.

Well AE isn't the only animator out there and I've never used it either but I know a guy who has and he's done some pretty cool stuff. When you get to the AE part and if you get stuck, let me know.

Back