• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Growing an Audience

After studying the subject for a while, it has come to my attention that I know quite a bit about growing and building an audience online, but I don't know everything.

I also learned that the effort works best as a team sport when having regular discussions with other people sharing similar concerns, and with a group dedicated to the mutual success of its members. To that end I'm looking for other independent media artists interested in building a private discussion group of 5 to 10 people looking to build their audience online who would be interested in participating in a Facebook group or a Google hangout discussion on a regular basis, maybe once a week, to talk about techniques for growing an audience online and who will take efforts to help each other build their audiences in a three musketeers kind of manner for the next year or so and re-evaluate the value of the mutual efforts after a year to see if the process should continue for another year or if the members should part ways.

If you are interested in learning and sharing techniques to grow an audience online for your work and think you could benefit from participating in mutual aid society to help you get the word of mouth started on your next project or just building your audience in general and you are willing to do your part to help new friends learn and grow their audience, send me a private message and we can begin a discussion about what we can do to help each other out and begin the process of creating our own little mastermind group to change our collective stars.

To grow an audience, you have to put out entertaining and interesting work there is an audience for. If you upload poorly made low quality videos to Youtube or Vimeo, nobody is going to want to watch and subscribe. Actually it's worse if people are watching your (poorly made) videos. Then they won't want to subscribe, watch more, and share it around. You want to make entertaining, interesting, well made, high quality content.

Once you are creating good content, show it around to friends and ask them to share it around. Get a Facebook and Twitter page. Follow as many cinephiles and filmmakers as humanly possible. Tweet out links to new films, and upload videos to Facebook.

You could always submit your work to competitions like the "Film Riot Monday Challenge".

http://www.youtube.com/user/filmriot

If you get onto Film Riot, they show your work on their show, promote your channel, and sometimes give out prizes like gear and movies.

Or to something like Moguler Made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uGc9CnM7k

They promote your work. They also have millions and millions of viewers. People will be watching your stuff :)

Another thing that I realized, tutorials are very, very popular. The reason sites like Film Riot and Indy Mogul are popular is because they create content to help people, in this case - filmmakers!

Once you get a bigger following, and the content you produce is very good, you can submit to festivals and begin working on bigger projects. At that point, you can begin hiring people to advertise your film for you.

Good luck! :cool:

Back