• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Green Screen Studio on 2 Walls Corner of Room

Trying to turning my basement into a Green Screen Studio

I wanted to do a 90 degree thing, one wall wide 10 feet then the next connecting wall another 10 feet wide making like a Green L shape. The height would be 7 Feet (It's a tall as I can go) 10 feet on the ground and cover the ceiling with another 10 feet of Green.

Turning a part of the basement room into like a Green Cube.

I have a five point lighting setup, a decent amount of lights.

I think I would shoot down the center where the two green walls meet.

Does this sound good or over kill for a small in-house Green Studio?

Excellent use of your basement! :cool:
Without being there, my only input would be to cove where the two walls meet each other and the floor. This will smooth out the lighting across the corners and make your keys much easier to complete. Like THIS:
Green-Screen-Cyc.jpg

If you can, hang some black curtains that you can draw closed from both sides, to make the screen as absolutely small as you can for a shot. This will reduce green spill.

There are many scenarios where shooting into he corner should't be your first choice, so do your homework.

Remember: Test, test, test.

Congratulations, and have fun!

Excellent use of your basement! :cool:
Without being there, my only input would be to cove where the two walls meet each other and the floor. This will smooth out the lighting across the corners and make your keys much easier to complete. Like THIS:
Green-Screen-Cyc.jpg

If you can, hang some black curtains that you can draw closed from both sides, to make the screen as absolutely small as you can for a shot. This will reduce green spill.

There are many scenarios where shooting into he corner should't be your first choice, so do your homework.

Remember: Test, test, test.

Congratulations, and have fun!

+1

Green screen really needs to be lit evenly. That's my biggest concern for putting it in a corner. But maybe you can make it work? If you've got the whole basement, I'd also try not putting it in the corner.

This is exactly what I was going for Rok!! Except yeah I was going to go a bit more straight and rectangle, but this curved cyc wall, curved and cove the at the bottom and where the walls meets makes sense.

Do you know of a service online that offers the components to curve and cove the floor and where the walls meet? Or would you suggest I go to home depot for supplies and roll up my sleeves and make the parts myself?

Also when you say hang some black curtains that you can draw closed from both sides, do you meet of the outsides of the green to enclose the studio area? I'm trying to envision this and how I'll position the curtain with my lights

Crack Funk...the space in the basement feels like the wall to wall would work better than just a straight away against one wall, though I guess I could try to do just one wall, but it would be one wall 12 feet wide as opposed to two walls 10 feet wide each. Which would you think is better?

Either way I'll try to curve cove the walls for that curved effect.

I've got a good amount of gear that covers all bases of sound and vision, from pre to post, been waiting years to make shorts.

The goal of the green screen studio and trying to make a cyc wall here is because I'm also in a band that's active in Boston and New York. We get a good amount of press. We have a new album coming out and I literally want to make videos for every track on the album. I'm almost thinking making videos will become more important than road warrioring the van from city to city for shows.

I almost wonder if Home depot would have the curved wood wedges to use to cove my screen against the walls.

Also when you say hang some black curtains that you can draw closed from both sides, do you meet of the outsides of the green to enclose the studio area? I'm trying to envision this and how I'll position the curtain with my lights.

The black would hang right up against the green screen wall (literally). The idea is, in order to reduce green bounce (and the resulting spill), you close the curtains to cover up any green that you don't need around your actors.

Also, plan on adding some tracking markers on the green.

I would like to add a question here, enclosed is a pick of an area I was asked to suggest lighting for and my knee jerk solution is that the area would be easier to light if the short wall on the left did not exist, or at least was painted black to help everyone avoid the need to deal with much reflected Green spill. Suggestions on lighting welcome, I expect free standing light can only be used to light the object. I need to also avoid any hot lights. The space will be used by students and I want to keep their approach simple while affording them some freedom. Thanks CMG

Attachments

• IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 77
Check out Hollywood Camera Work: VFX for Directors
There's two full DVDs about building, lighting and shooting green screen in your basement.

You can often find the set used on eBay. I got mine for $30

Last edited:
Back