Great Quote on Staffing your indie!

Andrew Dean@DVInfo said:
If you wanna be a rock band, you need to find a guitarist.

If you want to shoot a feature that looks nice? Find somebody to DP that has a strong, cool vision and is willing to cross you to make their vision happen.

When everything hits the fan, you want a DP that is willing to fight for the image... and a boom operator willing to fight for mic placement.

Read a thread over there and had to share it here. It was the typical "How do I light my feature" type of question.

This part struck me as awesome! It emphasizes why I promote having more of a mid sized crew with consistent folks populating the same job over and over.

I'll applaud that.

I'm saying similar things here when people ask what camera they should buy with their <insert 4 digit number here> so they can DIRECT their movie. Directors (IMNSHO) are better served using that money on production, which includes a DP who's already figured out all those camera questions that folks are asking all the time., and all those lighting questions, and most of those "how do I get this shot" questions, and probably all those "do I need a follow focus" questions to boot.

:)

Open Letter to Indie Director Types:

Stop worrying so much about your camera; worry about your story, BLOCKING, characters, BLOCKING, narrative structure, production budget, production schedule, dialogue, rehearsals, BLOCKING, editorial choices, mood, tone, environment of the narrative world OUTSIDE the bounds of your story, and so on.

Just saying. ;)

Last edited:
Back