• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Golden Ratio

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since my last visit. I'm on a little project (and it's actually my first serious one), where I've got to make a portrait of someone for a a TV-show. So, basically, the guy invented something (a solar BBQ) and I have to show him in his environnement, his home, his workshop, his kitchen, his garden, talking a bit about his life and so on.

First day of shooting, I was kindda nervous because of the reponsability I took when accepting to do it for him. I just shot as much as possible, stuff that seemed useful and had no idea where I was going. Coming back home, I edited a little and it slowly made its way up. I was so happy to see that I was able to get the job done !

Anyway, that was for the (useless) introduction. On the second day of shooting, I noticed for the first time the phi cropmark Magic Lantern included. I used it and tried to fit the curves to the composition and I guess it looked a little better but I realized I had no idea how to effectively use it. I know how does the rule of thirds work but I've never read anything on the golden ratio when it comes to filmmaking.

So if you guys know anything or have an article you can share about, that'd would be great.

Thanks.

Back