Going to film a documentary in Africa, what's a good 500 dollar camera?

That can fit my needs. We're bringing along a red and HVX, but I'd like to have something small I can carry and utilitarian. Something I can just pop out and start filming if the need arises.

I need to be able to overcrank, an audio in for a boom mic, and 1080p or i. But most importantly be able to get at least two hours of footage straight without having to drag hard drives or SD cards with me.

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question, and I'm sure I'm asking for way too much in my price range. This will be the second film I worked on, the first I used the HVX, which is a nice camera, but I really like the size of the Panasonic HDC-TM55K. Ideally, something that compact with all the features (and overcranking past 60fps) would be amazing. From what I've researched, the HDC-TM55K doesn't have an audio in for a boom mic, or is able to overcrank past 60 FPS.

Thanks in advance.

The Panasonic TM-700 could work out. It's a little more than $500, but it supposedly has better low light and sharpness than more expensive dslrs.

One issue I read is that the 60fps mode looks awesome, but other modes not as good. The plus side is that it DOES 60fps. The down side is that you'll probably want to shoot only 60fps.

Back