GH2 audio recording...

Hi,

I have recently been running a few audio tests and the results have me re-thinking dual audio when shooting short films. my rode video mic running strait into my gh2 camera seems to get better results (not far better) than the rode into a zoom h1. Obviously the problem with this is no audio monitoring but that seems to be curable with video out port and a Fii E5 headphone amplifier. So now my dslr has monitoring and clean audio which leaves the problem of cables and mobility which I heard can be sorted with blue-tooth connectors but have not fully researched this yet but if it's true then i see no reasons why I should NOT record this way. can anyone shed light if they've tried this or maybe been down this road and where it may lead...:hmm:

oh and by mobility i mean booming the microphone.

Last edited:
My GH2 system gets better audio from the Tascam DR100+xlr mic than my RODE NT3 direct to cam. I'm not familiar with your recorder though. But, trust your ears. There's good audio and good enough audio.

Unless that is the 'pro' version of that mic the reason you do not like the results with the Tascam are probably because the Rode isn't putting out enough signal for the Tascam (which likes really hot signals) and you are hearing the artefacts of cranking up the gain. Also, with the Rode video mics and GH2 mic amps you are interfacing two consumer level bits of kit which will work better than mixing consumer and pro (well 'prosumer'). With a better matched mic nd the Tascam you should easily outshine your GH2's audio capabilities.

Never heard of bluetooth connections for this application but you can get radio transmitters that can bolt onto an XLR mic. No idea if this will work well with the video mic though, you'll have to make up some cables and hope for the best. You do make sacrifices for wireless though, in particular lower frequencies. Not entirely sure if the GH2's inputs will get on that well with a wireless receiver output. Alcove Audio will probably know if the impedences match up or if not how to sort it.

Ultimately though that set up's suitability really does depend on what you are shooting. If we are talking a straight to youtube guerilla documentary or your daughter's birthday fine. If you have something grander in mind get a decent shotgun mic and take separate audio on the Tascam.

You're not really going to hear a major difference in your audio until you start using proper equipment and, even more importantly, proper techniques.

As I have noted on numerous occasions I am not a fan of the H4n or DR-100, and units like the H1 are, from my perspective, more consumer toys than serious tools. The same applies to the Rode VideoMics; even though one says "Pro" it is still aimed a consumers and is not intended for serious filmmaking.

My understanding is that monitoring via the A/V out of DSLRs does not let you hear what is actually being recorded by the camera, it is merely tapping into the early part of the audio flow, so you could potentially have audio problems of which you would not be aware until you actually play back the audio.

Although I have no experience with it myself I never hear any production audio professional even discussing using BlueTooth with regard to any serious audio application. Apparently it is a bandwidth issue.

Booming is a real skill; you need someone who really wants to be a boom-op to swing the boom, not just a PA who has been co-opted into a position they really don't want and with which they have no experience.

I'm aware of the constraints under which many low/no/micro budget filmmakers work, but consider how much time and effort you put into getting each shot just right; your audio deserves the same budget and attention.

Back