Getting Funding

What is the most important factor in finding investors? Industry connections, critical response to your films, how much money they're making, how you present yourself on the internet?

What is the most important factor in finding investors?
Your demonstration of a probability of return on their investment.
You have to be a better alternative than the bank's interest rate, government bonds, (lately) inverse ETFs, and gold.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$GOLD&p=W&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&id=p69716728503

Can you demonstrate that?

Isn't it possible to get funding from public corporations, pbs, bbc to develop programming for them? How do most documentary filmmakers make a living?

I'm actually drawing up a business plan for the project I'm currently working on, and its goin pretty well except for the itsy bitsy problem that ive never actually made a full length before.

1. What is your track record for making money?

2. Who else is in your production with a track record of making money? (A famous director? A famous actor? Has the material in your script made you money before and how much? Do you have distributors attached?

3. An investor wants their money back. Making a movie is high risk. They want to only deal with people with pre-existing fan bases.

4. Before others will invest in you, you must first invest in yourself.

1. What is your track record for making money?

2. Who else is in your production with a track record of making money? (A famous director? A famous actor? Has the material in your script made you money before and how much? Do you have distributors attached?

3. An investor wants their money back. Making a movie is high risk. They want to only deal with people with pre-existing fan bases.

4. Before others will invest in you, you must first invest in yourself.

I love modern's layout. Its so capitalist haha. How much do you invest in yourself before you consider losses and gains? Where does one's 401k fit into this "money making" display? Basically where do you get the capital to invest in yourself?

I think its up to the individual investor. I think having a business plan will work for someone that is a solid business man. A great story on the other hand might be enough for a dreamer who made smart investments but always wanted to be an actor or director or whatever.

I think the best thing is WHERE to find investors. I know DDs who could charm the pants off anyone and sell anything. Put them in the room with the right attire and the world could be their oyster. But like the rest of us, the problem is finding where that room is.

I think focus on making the best product with what you have, find out from peer review the reality of the caliber of your product, and if its good enough then find investors. And like Sin said a solid business plan. What you;ve put in, what you're looking to get out and how much the investor has to gain.

Prove to be a viable, trusted investment. That's to be said for yourself and those who will be representing the investment on your behalf, and secondly the important final product.

Prove you can create a strong product with no budget.
Prove yourself in every area of the "business" you wish for the investor to understand.
Prove yourself to be knowledgable in every aspect of your specific goal. (Have that in writing)
Prove that you, and only you, can do what it is you're trying to do. (Or atleast no better)
Prove yourself to be something, and someone to invest in.

That's as brief as I can make it. Everything else has been said.

The bottom line is. If I go fishing, I better catch a fish. And if it isn't a great catch, I hope it atleast covers the petrol it cost getting me here.

I love modern's layout. Its so capitalist haha. How much do you invest in yourself before you consider losses and gains? Where does one's 401k fit into this "money making" display? Basically where do you get the capital to invest in yourself?

I think its up to the individual investor. I think having a business plan will work for someone that is a solid business man. A great story on the other hand might be enough for a dreamer who made smart investments but always wanted to be an actor or director or whatever.

I think the best thing is WHERE to find investors. I know DDs who could charm the pants off anyone and sell anything. Put them in the room with the right attire and the world could be their oyster. But like the rest of us, the problem is finding where that room is.

I think focus on making the best product with what you have, find out from peer review the reality of the caliber of your product, and if its good enough then find investors. And like Sin said a solid business plan. What you;ve put in, what you're looking to get out and how much the investor has to gain.

Interesting Chris should make these points when he and I met a film investor at a Pizzzareia Uno's who was telling us the points I just passed along.

How much to invest? Your script will determine that. Your script and your ability to make deals all along the way with people to help you make your dream into a film. The final cut will have a good percentage on how much of a return you will get as well as how well it is marketed.

If you have empty pockets, abort your film ideas. First put together money to make a film on your own.

Sure, not everyone has a 401K. As a member on this board suggested, you can sell blood for cash. If you have been buying comiic books for yeats and still have them, you can sell off your old ones for money.

A true artist with the passion will find a way.

Interesting Chris should make these points when he and I met a film investor at a Pizzzareia Uno's who was telling us the points I just passed along.

How much to invest? Your script will determine that. Your script and your ability to make deals all along the way with people to help you make your dream into a film. The final cut will have a good percentage on how much of a return you will get as well as how well it is marketed.

http://www.filmproposals.com/Finding-Investors-For-Your-Movie-Project.html#axzz1bAUsS5zR

This is kinda what I was saying.

As I said, before others will invest in you, you must first invest in yourself.

Sam Raimi spent the bucks to make a short to show doctors and dentists to fund his THE EVIL DEAD. They would not fund him without it. Also, how do you get a realistic budget and shooting schedule without experience making filn?

One way or the other, you have to pay. It takes money to make money.

A lot of people work and save their money to work on their first project. Sometimes you can find others in similar situations and work on each other projects sharing equipment and expertise.

What do the people do who don't have wealthy friends and relatives, which accounts for a greater number of filmmaker?

A lot of people who decide to crowd fund will get money from friends and relatives, yes, but also a helluva lot from strangers (or people they don't know in real life).

I really don't think it would be impossible to raise $10k for your film from total strangers.

Back