Getting Ahead by Stepping on People's Toes...

Some people get ahead in life, in many things, through the act of stepping on other people's toes, and there are of course reasons why this is an underhanded tactic to employ. But, is there a reason why this tactic, or a circumstance where it's used, could be considered a necessary step?

What are people's thoughts on this in relation to employing this tactic in the film industry in general?

I'd need to know what you mean by “stepping on other peoples toes”.

Unfairly undermining someones authority?
Upsetting someone?
Trying to take over something that is not your job or responsibility?

I don't care about upsetting people. If I'm a better (fill in the blank)
I'll show a potential employer that I am better. And that can upset some.

I would never do anything to (as an example) try to take over the job of
the DP on a gig where I was hired as the camera operator. But if I felt
the DP was doing a poor job I would talk to the producer or director about
getting hired as DP on the next project. Potentially causing that DP to lose
a gig.

The things you've said are what I would classify as "stepping on other peoples toes", definitely. The points you make about showing you're better at doing something compared to another, or talking to the producer of director about an issue to do with feeling someone was doing a poor job, are things that I would think are acceptable ways of going about things.

But things that are stepping on other peoples toes, which I feel would be wrong to do because it would be with the wrong intention, are things such as purposely making someone look bad by sabotaging their work, when they're actually doing a great job. It's not something I would do myself but there might be some people who would, and could get away with it. I guess it just comes down to a person's ethics and morals.

My feeling is that talent should speak for itself. Whatever your specialty is, if you're not good enough to get ahead on talent alone, either keep working on improving your skills until you are good enough or find a new line of work.

Back