• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

General RFI - Sound Pains

Hello Everyone,

I am a sound engineer and musician that has a good amount of experience with live music, but would like to start crafting some tools to help documentary and possibly indie fiction filmmakers.

Basically, if you want to take the time, I'd like to ask any of you to share the things that "get in your way" of success with sound. I want to get an idea of the obstacles that are in the way of filmmakers to complete their sound design and mixing successfully.

So, in regard to sound; what "pains" you?

NSC

I want to get an idea of the obstacles that are in the way of filmmakers to complete their sound design and mixing successfully.

Well, first is the way that 99.99999% of indie filmmakers ignore sound completely when they start out. "The camera has a mic built in; that's all I need, right?"

The next is problems with DIY sound editing/design/rerecording. Sound-for-picture is quite complicated and requires specific tools, skills & techniques as well as an 'ear" not to mention talent.

And, of course, the usual complaint is "I don't have the budget."

Alcove, thanks for your comments.

I have built two companies in my life that rely on steady revenue. That's a big responsibility and a lot of work. Clients who understand your costs and the value of the services you provide are essential.

Luckily, with this professional hobby adventure I am setting out on, I am lucky to not have to be too concerned about steady revenue. I do, however, share your sentiment about fair pay for good services though. No one should have to work for pennies.

I have always followed a rule to finding a path to doing good business, and that is to find out your clients pain and fix it.

The things you mentioned may be risks to a sound professional, but not necessarily things that highlight a filmmakers concerns.

If filmmakers have a tendency end up with bad audio, why? Let's hear from them, hopefully.

Help us out, filmmakers, chime in! Is sound secondary, or insignificant to you?

What stops you from having a film that sounds like a pro; from your perspective.

OK everybody, I see many views but not so many posts. That's ok! I had hoped to hear from some of you, but if this thread is destined for an early death, so be it.

I will leave you all with this link to a couple short videos on Youtube. They are demonstrations from a sound designer that I don't know and have no affiliation with, but I think are good examples of some of the challenges that are faced with film sound.

I think one of the main takeaways is how not planning pre-production audio correctly can lead to many many more needed hours of post-production audio work. It can also highlight some of the tasks sound designers face trying to fix poorly recorded content.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQOs9j3ZooA

Back