• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Fstop Chart... This looks super-helpful

The problem with this chart is it does not recognize the distance between the lens, subject and background. Without separation of subject and background, this chart is inaccurate, Additionally, by placing the subject very close to the lens, with a distant background, you can create a shallow depth-of-field with much smaller apertures (higher F-steps).

For film, shutter speed doesn't come into play because for a 180 degree shutter, the shutter speed is fixed at 2x the frame rate (Typically 1/48 for 24 fps or 60 for 30 fps).

There's an android app called Acacia which allows you to plug in the data of your lens, and you can see the critical focus plane move and widen as you change the focal distance. It's a great tool for planning shots.

Browsing the web found this:

http://9gag.com/gag/aZxvwO3

As an amateur film maker, I have always had a hard time with FStops and Shutter Speeds. So I wanted to share this thing, since it's such an abstract concept.

Yeah, but at least helps me understand how it works. But you are right, for advanced users it's totally useless. Sadly I can't get my hands on a proper camera with proper lenses yet. The last one I used was a semi-pro Lumix. It adjusted the focal distance automatically, which kinda sucked.

Back