• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

From CELTX to word, this forum, other docs

I started using Celtx last week and though it looks good when using celtx, it's impossible to copy it and keep the format I was using. It turns out to be a bunch of words and I don't think the purpose of that software is not being able to copy it.

You'll never be able to copypaste from a script writing program and it keep the formatting haha. That's just not how programming works.

However, you can make a pdf of the script in Celtx and if you want to show it formatted to the forums, you can either upload the script somewhere or you can screenshot the part of the script you'd like to show us.

EXAMPLE:

example vanished into a 404... tough shit.

Last edited:
You'll never be able to copypaste from a script writing program and it keep the formatting haha. That's just not how programming works.

However, you can make a pdf of the script in Celtx and if you want to show it formatted to the forums, you can either upload the script somewhere or you can screenshot the part of the script you'd like to show us.

EXAMPLE:

up5a69JV.1424880935.png

I haven't tried it in CeltX, but most scriptwriting tools I've used allow you to export to plain text (*.txt). Copying and pasting from the exported plain text file should retain the formatting. It's an extra step, but only a minor inconvenience really.

I really don't understand, why not just learn the format and write according to it in Word, manually? This way, the formatting will keep everywhere, because YOU have done the formatting. It keeps the tabs, the lines, the spaces and the transitions, when you type them manually.

There are so many difficulties in Screenwriting, and proper formatting is the least of them.

Also, the same way formatting software works, you can create a template in Word to work with spec script formatting.

Like my Word Documents if I hit Control + S it goes to the action line Control + C goes to Character, Control + D goes to dialogue, etc...

I started using Celtx last week and though it looks good when using celtx, it's impossible to copy it and keep the format I was using. It turns out to be a bunch of words and I don't think the purpose of that software is not being able to copy it.
It depends on what you want to do. After you've worked on your script, you go to the formatting tab and it converts it to a script layout which you can then save as a PDF. You can then copy from within the PDF and paste that into a Word document or Notepad. Be sure to use the paste special and select plain text.

You can also copy a block to post in this forum using the same procedure. Just be sure you put it inside a code block ([ code] ... paste here ... [ /code]). You can also manually format on this forum in that way. My action blocks start on the left. Dialogue at the bar after the Underline. Parentheticals start at the Center symbol. And Character names at the second bar just before the numbered lists. It's a rough
measure but conveys the sense of the formatting.

If you do choose to mount the PDF file, you can do that with Google docs. Just be sure that it's set to be publicly viewable. Good luck.

Back