• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Fresnel vs. Focusing Flood

I have a lighting question. The size of the room is 12D x 12W x 15H. Its a shed with a gabled ^ roof. WHat I want to do is drape the interior with white sheets, and use diffused light to create a "from heaven above" feeling. The plan is to use thin sheets as the diffuser to create a soft but intense light. The goal is to have minimal apparant shadows and more of the texture of the draping define the space.

So the question is. Would I get better results using frsnels or focusing floods? Or does it matter for something like this? I was looking at (1) 2k or (2) 650 or 750 fresnels or (2) 1k focusing floods.

Also, if you have another idea of how I could get this look, please let me know. Or mayne I'm asking the wrong question?? And I do realize I could play with the exposure settings to help this but I have a slow lense, F4 sooo:)

Pardon my spelling, I think, but it 3 am :)

Considering the fact that I've made it well-known that I'm no cinematographer, I think I might catch some flack for this, but...

I think you can achieve the desired results with a few cheap construction lights. Both Lowes and Home Depot accept full refunds, so if my prediction is wrong, you've lost nothing but a little of your time. :)

Considering the fact that I've made it well-known that I'm no cinematographer, I think I might catch some flack for this, but...

I think you can achieve the desired results with a few cheap construction lights. Both Lowes and Home Depot accept full refunds, so if my prediction is wrong, you've lost nothing but a little of your time. :)

Youre my kinda guy.:) But I do want to invest in some lights anyway.

Im not sure of the exact look you want, i can imagine it in different ways.

But i think you might want to look into LED's if u want intense, unfocused light. And that you also may want to place lights behind the white curtains or white sheets. Depending on how u place them and how many u use, u can get blown out areas, fold the material strategically for some texture there. Like i said, im seeing it in different ways in my head.

And depending on the look u want, you may also want a soft focus filter for ur lens.

@ Cracker-Youre still my kinda guy, and I've changed my mind. On the way to Hom Depot.

@Ernest- You might be right about the soft focus filter. TTYL

@CamVader-Im not gay.:) Oh and I was wrong about the lens. Its a blazing f/3.5

@brianluce- Its not a shack dammit, its a shed. :)and a nice one with a second level and everything. Throw in a window unit and you got a decent cabin. (so urban):) Just palying.

What I was thinking was punch the fresnels through diffusers to spread the light. The result, hopefully, would be intense but soft light.

The new plan is to use the works lights, through diffusion, above. And have a couple banks of, color correct, fluorescent lights around, illuminating the sheets.

Last edited:
Back