For $50 I made...

So somehow I got suckered into taking care of provisions for tonight's 8-hour campaign fundraiser shoot. Was given $50 (I'd asked for $100) to come up with a plan. Here's what I just brought out of the kitchen, and loaded into my truck.

16 hefty sammiches filled with butter/spread, sliced turkey, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, shredded lettuce, shredded carrot, thousand island dressing, and a thick slice of swiss cheese.

12 small salads comprised of shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, sprinkle of parm, kidney beans, and either thousand island or vinagrette.

Big ol' sack of apples & oranges

20 single-size bags of various Lays snacks
36 bottles water (8-oz bottles)
12-pack generic diet soda
Medium tin of ground coffee

... and that's about it.

All that came to $48.16 - well, not including my time or the cost of the disposable plates, bowls & cutlery I already had on hand. I think I did alright, for the bux.

The talent is all staggered for the three scenes we're shooting, so hopefully they won't chow down too much. Gotta keep a good portion for the all-night crew.

No-budget DIY catering blows. :lol:

Anyone else care to detail some micro-budget fixin's? :yes:

Pasta is cheap and you can offer it with three different sauces so that everyone has a choice that they like. You can whip up a batch of thin spaghetti or nested angel hair pasta and offer marinara, Alfredo (much less expensive if you make it yourself) and a lemon pepper butter sauce. You don't even need to add any meat, but grilled chicken will kick up the Alfredo and lemon pepper butter sauces. Add a slice of provolone or some mozzarella to the chicken and you have a somewhat healthier take on chicken parmigiana. My number one most important take with me item is a portable grill.

At least one meal at every shoot is comprised of little caesar's $5 hot and ready pizzas. Super cheap and easy. Just plug Jan the formula to know how many to get. P=.7m+.3f+1 where p=number of 12" pizzas, m=males eating and f=females eating. May seem sexist, but girls eat less. The formula hasn't failed yet haha.

My producer has just had this same problem, (he has the money so we sent him for the shopping) he ended up going to costco and buying the sandwich platters, which were really good, and multipack water and snacks then a kettle from his house. turned out alright in the end but i guess it depends on the amount of people in your crew plus actors

Back